F3 Ahoy!

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't like to start these sort of threads but I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Should come tomorrow, Should I miss the morning to take the deilvery??

I already have a F5 but really want something smaller as well

sid

Take the whole day off and make sure you got film/batteries/raincoat ready to go!

You won't need your raincoat tomorrow, it's going to be glorious :cool:

No flashing then... :D

Hope you enjoy using it - for some reason, I've had an urge to buy an F3 recently, no idea why. Since I got an F100 a couple of years back, I've barely touched my old FM, but I feel an odd complusion to buy a really good condition F3:shrug:

The temptation is enormous, I've got and F4, bought on ebay and an F2, I bought on here. I'm keeping my eyes open and it would be good to complete the set, but I'm trying to keep control of the spending at the moment :LOL:

but I'm trying to keep control of the spending at the moment :LOL:

Same here, I have a F3 and F4 rally would like an F, F2, F5 and F6 for a full set.

I used to have an F2 as well years ago but traded it for the F4 :bang:

Is the Lottery a roll over next week? :LOL:

My F4 is really tatty, paint rubbed off, brassing all over the place but I'm a huge fan, it just feels right. I'm on the look out for a MB-20 for it so if you hear of one going let me know(y)

I still have my F2, bought in 1979 or 1980, and love it. Good ones seem to be getting harder to find and quite expensive now. Of course, they're long in the tooth and a lot of them were hammered by pros in their day.

Dream camera? F2D, and no, its not sacrilege. Combine the best of the classic manual/mechanical cameras with digital convenience. The film ones are still out there. Pity the FM3D never made it into production. It sounded sweet.

My F4 is really tatty, paint rubbed off, brassing all over the place but I'm a huge fan, it just feels right. I'm on the look out for a MB-20 for it so if you hear of one going let me know(y)

An MB-20?

Rare beast I was looking for about 3 or more years before I got one from Ebay for about £90 I think.

Greys Of Westminister can get them especially imported from Japan but they were wanting £150+ which was a year ago.

Good luck in your search.

I had an original F with an unmetered prism head, absolute brick of a camera but a classic. Bought it from a guy who'd put half a dozen films through, it was flawless. Why I sold it I have no idea as it was instinctive to use. The back and base came away Leica style to load.

An MB-20?

Rare beast I was looking for about 3 or more years before I got one from Ebay for about £90 I think.

Greys Of Westminister can get them especially imported from Japan but they were wanting £150+ which was a year ago.

Good luck in your search.

I refuse to spend more on the mb-20 than I spent on the camera :eek:

I had an original F with an unmetered prism head, absolute brick of a camera but a classic. Bought it from a guy who'd put half a dozen films through, it was flawless. Why I sold it I have no idea as it was instinctive to use. The back and base came away Leica style to load.

I'd like to find an F, but I'm a cheapskate at heart so finding one I can afford could be tricky.

now! hehe :p

Ok first problem/issue. There doesn't appear to be a split prism installed? How is that possible? I thought these cameras had it installed by default. Is it because the focusing screen has been changed to one with gridlines that it is no longer visible.

cheers for any help

sid

Ok first problem/issue. There doesn't appear to be a split prism installed? How is that possible? I thought these cameras had it installed by default. Is it because the focusing screen has been changed to one with gridlines that it is no longer visible.

sid

I think they were sold new with split prism, but don't forget the F3 is a modular camera system where you could change the heads, focusing screens, backs, winders, so someone at some point has changed the focusing screen to a grid line one.

Check places like ffordes or Grays Of Westminister as they may have different screens you can fit. Also check out the Mir site as that should give you a run down on all the accessories that the F3 would take.

Have fun.

~whihc reminds me I must use my F3 as well~

I think you are getting pentaprism confused with split prism? The latter is a focussing aid built into the fresnel/matt scree while the former is the prism that takes the image from the mirror and presents it right way up, right way round in the view finder.

the split prism is actually on the focusing screen. as said above, on the Mir site there's a good explaination of all 20 or so of them...

IIRC Screen K is the standard with the F3.

Cheers

Alistair

IIRC Screen K is the standard with the F3.

Cheers

Alistair

Correct. The F2 and F3 were usually sold with the K screen as standard. It had a split image aid in the centre surrounded by a circular microprism ring. I've I used the plain matt screen too, and it's good. Focusing was so easy with these cameras, and we didn't have to worry about missed focus or back/front focus. I struggle to MF on a crop DSLR. My ageing eyes don't help!

Hi Sid,

Just confirm for me please, you have a screen type E at the moment - yes / no?

Thanks

Alistair

Back