F3 & GT @ Oulton Park, 12 pics, learning to pan..

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
isnt as easy as it looks, but i think i mastered it by the end of the day, lots of scrap blurred shots.

i think im still suffering however, mainly from a very slow focusing lens that doesnt tend to focus correctly on the object required, its the only lens i have that will do the business so until i can afford a 70-200mm lens, im scuppered

good fun and some good racing though :)

http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk/gallery/

I have broken your links as the pictures files sizes are larger than the allowed 160kb. You are welcome to resize and replace if you wish.

it makes no sense that these pictures are actually all 100kb +/- 5kb on my pc, yet upload them and they jump in size, apologies, ive taken them all down now

seemingly internet kb are smaller than computer HDD ones:ponders:

Jonnys simpleviewer based site still does not work when I look at it - nothing clickable. Your simpleviewer site works fine!

Car pictures are pretty good. More so for someone learning to take panning shots.

it did work anyway, i just got cocky and tried to enter something into a text field and its screwed up, im attempting to fix it right this second.

seems to be fixed now :)

Do you use a tripod or mono pod when panning. I've not tried it with either yet, was wondering if it could be easier. Photos certainly look good were there any Aston Martin DB9R's in the GT racing?

nah, just hand held, the lens ive got is cheap, **** and thus very light so weight isnt an issue at the moment.

no DBR9's as its just british GT's so loads of porsches, a few ferraris, a morgan, 2 moslers, a panoz and some other assorted gubbins, not as spectacular as when i first saw british Gt's (mclaren f1's, jag xj220's, listers etc)

I thought a team had bought a couple of Astons from Prodrive to use in British GT's.
I saw the British GT's a few years back in the 90's at Brands Hatch. Lots of Mclarens, Jags etc. Was thinking of trying to make a meeting if not working to see Astons again. Saw them last year at Silverstone in Le Mans series.

Pics look good Whitewash:thumb:

I went to British GT at Donington last year and it was OK, but not as good as a couple of years earlier when they had a round of the LG series there, (can't remember the exact name). Then they had the Ferarri 550s, now they sounded UNBELIEVABLE !.
Anyway I noticed that this is on at Donnington this year. It looks good, but does anyone know if this will run the same cars as the (proper) Le Mans??

Rich

RickMezza said:
Pics look good Whitewash:thumb:

I went to British GT at Donington last year and it was OK, but not as good as a couple of years earlier when they had a round of the LG series there, (can't remember the exact name). Then they had the Ferarri 550s, now they sounded UNBELIEVABLE !.
Anyway I noticed that this is on at Donnington this year. It looks good, but does anyone know if this will run the same cars as the (proper) Le Mans??

Rich
Looks similar to what I saw at Silverstone last year. I believe the Le Mans series incorporates the actual Le Mans race.

nilagin said:
Looks similar to what I saw at Silverstone last year. I believe the Le Mans series incorporates the actual Le Mans race.

The Le Mans series races are all 1000km or 6 hours long

Good photos whitewash, I think your doing a fine job.

One of the methods I use to keep things in focus when panning is to stand on the inside of circuit corners and kind of pre-set your focal point on the racing line, this way when the racers arrive you can pan and shoot and the focus point won't move that much.

Not all corners, but you get what I mean. Works a treat with my limited equipment.

yep i noticed that when i was on the inside of the corner (the last 2 shots) it was much easier as the cars tended to be at an equal distance from you as they traversed the radius of the corner, on the outside they will obviously be moving towards you as they corner, which makes the lens struggle, shame that my lens appears to have trouble getting the correct focus and is slow to boot!!

thanks for your kind words people :)

im impressed, i went to brands and did panning and its not as easy as some people make it look, i will be off up to brands again soon to try again too!

Matty said:
im impressed, i went to brands and did panning and its not as easy as some people make it look, i will be off up to brands again soon to try again too!
best bit of advice someone gave me (i think it might have been on here) is that your instinct is to stop moving when you press the shutter, but keep moving with the car, even after you've taken the picture/burst, therefore it becomes alot smoother as you move through the pan

whitewash said:
best bit of advice someone gave me (i think it might have been on here) is that your instinct is to stop moving when you press the shutter, but keep moving with the car, even after you've taken the picture/burst, therefore it becomes alot smoother as you move through the pan
This is very good advice, during the 90's when the BTCC cars regularly tested at Brands I was beginning to get the hang of it, amazing how you ( maybe just Me) fall back into the bad old habits and forget it all. I must admit I find it easier on Burst mode, tend to get more shots not going to waste.

burst mode?? never thought of using that!!!

*shamed*

i started taking 3 pictures of each car, and the middle picture seems to come out better than the rest, possibly due to the fact that your not putting any pressure on the shutter release during this shot as the button is already down!

I usually keep my camera on burst mode, purely to catch the unexpected. especially if your inside Druids hairpin at Brands and the driver locks up on entry and goes straight on into the kitty litter:D . I caught a series of photos of one of the DTM Mercedes drivers doing just that during the recent testing. I recently tried taking some photos of the Formula BMW's at the BTCC meeting, took quite awhile trying to pan fast enough as they moved quicker than tin tops.

Back