Fairly urgent help required

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Hi and thanks for looking,

I've won an auction on this camera but on receiving today and opening the lens cap to check the mirrors/shutter etc, this opague plastic square which resembles an af hud fell out. photo's below.:crying:
I'm really not experienced at all with the components of a 1dmki but if there is anyone who can help or advise I would be most grateful.
We got this at a great price but the item description said it was in full working order.
The kind of questions I have at this time are:
How bad is it?
Should I return the item?
Does it need to be repaired? Can it be repaired? How much would a repair be roughly?

Looking forward to hearing form someone very much :crying:

Picture.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

oh no!!!
:crying:

I am not sure what it is, but it does look like an AF thingy ma bob...

thats so horrible.... dont know what else to say
:(

sorry, im not much help am i?

Don't panic! It looks like the interchangeable focus screen to me. In the first pic, you can see the frame that holds it in place has come loose.

Check the manual about changing screens and it will show you how to pop it back.

1D has an interchangeable focussing screen. Pop it back in and you "should" be fine I think.

If its like the 5D then they're meant to come out. Try putting it back in.

Thomas,

That is the focussing screen. They are detachable and can be changed for different versions if required.

I have to shoot out for a while but can send re-fitting instructions in an hour or so. There shouldn't be any problems refitting it and you can test the camera without it installed to make sure it hasn't damaged the sensor whilts it was loose. Also checkout for a small brass/anodised frame that fits around it.

Back later....

Bob

Don't panic! It looks like the interchangeable focus screen to me. In the first pic, you can see the frame that holds it in place has come loose.

Check the manual about changing screens and it will show you how to pop it back.

1D has an interchangeable focussing screen. Pop it back in and you "should" be fine I think.

If its like the 5D then they're meant to come out. Try putting it back in.

Seriously now, thank you so much guys! I nearly cacked meself! Never had one of these before and had to be sure, your all lifesavers!

Thomas,

That is the focussing screen. They are detachable and can be changed for different versions if required.

I have to shoot out for a while but can send re-fitting instructions in an hour or so. There shouldn't be any problems refitting it and you can test the camera without it installed to make sure it hasn't damaged the sensor whilts it was loose. Also checkout for a small brass/anodised frame that fits around it.

Back later....

Bob

Bob, your a winner, if you can send instructions I would be very appreciative.

We have the manual if the instructions are the same?

Tomas
Give the screen and the bottom of the pentaprism a good clean with a blower before you reassemble it. you don't want dust in the viewfinder. It doesn't do any damage but it is annoying

John C

Tomas
Give the screen and the bottom of the pentaprism a good clean with a blower before you reassemble it. you don't want dust in the viewfinder. It doesn't do any damage but it is annoying

John C

Thanks chappers, too right it needs a good clean! I'll have me marigolds out, a wet shammy and a bucket of hot soapy on that!:eek:

Our main issue right now is that I am sitting here in Helsinki at my computertater chatting to me Paps in Birmingham who has the camera! The seller didn't fancy shipping to Europe which is fair enough. We send things pretty much weekly so it wasn't a factor, just makes things a little more difficult.
We just making extra doubley sure that everything is a ok before he sends it on to me.

One thing I will mention is be very careful with handling the focussing screen and hold it by the edges. They scratch easilly and cleaning fingerprints off is a good way to do that. :)

Just out of interest folks, can you still get focus screens for a 1Dmki? Or would any 1 series focus screen fit?

If I were you... Id leave it where it is for a while! :D :LOL:

I've got several focus screens for my Pentax LX and Z1-P. The supplied tweezers should work OK with your screen, and I wouldn't want to try fitting it without something similar. Get in touch and I'll send you a pair.

Back