Critique Fallen Tree - image added

Name
Elaine
Edit My Images
Yes
I came across this tree trunk earlier in the week and wanted to do something a bit abstract with it. I'm fairly happy with the tree itself, but I'm not sure about the background. I can't decide whether it needs to be lighter or darker and either more or less defined. I've tried so many different combinations now that I'm thoroughly confused :confused:

1qpufa.jpg

I like the tree trunk, I can see why you would want to use it, very interesting shapes and patterns.

I would get rid of that background though, what was the original background? :)

Unfortunately that is the original background :( I just did some selective un-colouring and blurring on it to try and make it less distracting from the tree, but it still doesn't seem to work. I tried losing it completely to both total black and white BGs, but that didn't look right either.

Maybe try shooting it again at a wider aperture to try and blur the background a bit?

Thanks for the input. I've put a bit of colour into the background and darkened it slightly to reflect some of the colour in the trunk. I think it's starting to look better than the first b/w version now? Graeme, yes the background is a bit scary looking but before I started messing around, the rectangles that give the impression of gravestones were actually very mundane-looking fences around the bottom of each tree, put there to protect them from the deer that wander around the park :D

29ly721.jpg

It's an interesting bit of wood, maybe a different view point would distance the background more and make it easier to deal with.

It's an interesting bit of wood, maybe a different view point would distance the background more and make it easier to deal with.
Mmm, I chose the angle I shot it from to get the best of the shapes in the wood, so if I'd used a different viewpoint I would have lost some of the effect, so swings and roundabouts. :(

if i hadn't read the title or any text and just looked at the picture... i would be asking what is it? not knowing what the main subject of a picture is.. is that good or bad? makes it a tlaking point so I would go for good...

Back