Falling into the Whirlpool (WIP)

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd hoped to have got this in time for last weeks Duo theme for the Photo 52, although it's something I was trying to do anyway, and I'm not sure it fits within the remit of the 52. Anyway, This is the Messier object M51, also known as the Whirlpool galaxy. What you see in the middle of the image is a larger spiral galaxy that is in the process of consuming (subsuming ? absorbing ?) a smaller one. The pair of galaxies are 37 Million light years away, and to get in closer, I either need a dedicated Astro cam (with a small sensor) or a much bigger scope (they both cost silly money :crying: )

This is my first true test of autoguiding. This uses a second scope and camera to track and maintain a very accurate lock on a single star, controlled by software on a PC, allowing for much longer exposures as any drive train errors from the mount are controlled and removed.

This is 5 x 1200s (20 minutes each) @ ISO400 exposures, shot at a focal length of 600mm, combined with 3 dark frames, 5 flat frames and a bunch of bias frames stacked in deep sky stacker, then processed further in PS

m51a.jpg

Thanks for looking, Hope you like it.

Good God - unbelievably fantastic as ever John - what a beautiful capture and I haven't forgotten I have that poem to post with your other shots :)

This is gorgeous!!! (y)

Cor!
That is STUNNING! Its the sort of thing you only see in Star Wars! Truly unbelievable capture.
Cant wait to see what you come up with next! Never fails to impress!

I love this-but why on earth is it in Fluffy Kittens?? Surely it would get more (Deserved) coverage in General?

Thanks All...

Nick it's not finished, that's why I posted it here... This is one night... I'm going to get at least 2 more hours worth of data using 10 minute subs see if I can't pull out the link between the two galaxies more and the off cast that the overlapping gravity fields has thrown out to the left. You can only just see them in that image, but I can't pull it out anymore as the noise then overwhelms it.

Thanks All...

Nick it's not finished, that's why I posted it here... This is one night... I'm going to get at least 2 more hours worth of data using 10 minute subs see if I can't pull out the link between the two galaxies more and the off cast that the overlapping gravity fields has thrown out to the left. You can only just see them in that image, but I can't pull it out anymore as the noise then overwhelms it.

Ah I see! I thought you had gone mad for a second!!

:D it's more than just a second .... :nuts:

Back