Fallow Deer photography advice

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
We have some fallow deer, very close to our home. They are living wild in a nature reserve, where anyone can roam (as long as you keep to the official footpaths).
I say "some fallow deer, but there could be between 50 and 150, which are spread out over a fifteen square mile area of woodland, pastures and most importantly - coppicing.
Until last week, I had never seen any, but I was out in the fields snapping butterflies, and I could hear movement in the woods behind me. I carried on, and ran into a farm worker, who confirmed that I had probably heard deer.
I then went off the beaten track in amongst the forest and coppicing. I had the camera set on autofocus (big mistake), and as I approached a large coppice of young growth, all hell let loose. About thirty yards ahead of me, three fallow deer (Quite dark markings) bolted out of the coppice and ran across the track and into the forest. The autofocus could not cope, and I was left with one very fuzzy image of a rump exiting stage right.
How do I go about stalking and capturing these deer on camera? Is it a matter of going to the same spot, and waiting, or should I move around, looking for tracks?
Should I keep the camera on Manual focus, and combine that with a high ISO and reasonable aperture?
I really want a few pictures of these timid creatures, because I have told a few local people about them, and they seriously doubt me.

Andy

We have some fallow deer, very close to our home. They are living wild in a nature reserve, where anyone can roam (as long as you keep to the official footpaths).
I say "some fallow deer, but there could be between 50 and 150, which are spread out over a fifteen square mile area of woodland, pastures and most importantly - coppicing.
Until last week, I had never seen any, but I was out in the fields snapping butterflies, and I could hear movement in the woods behind me. I carried on, and ran into a farm worker, who confirmed that I had probably heard deer.
I then went off the beaten track in amongst the forest and coppicing. I had the camera set on autofocus (big mistake), and as I approached a large coppice of young growth, all hell let loose. About thirty yards ahead of me, three fallow deer (Quite dark markings) bolted out of the coppice and ran across the track and into the forest. The autofocus could not cope, and I was left with one very fuzzy image of a rump exiting stage right.
How do I go about stalking and capturing these deer on camera? Is it a matter of going to the same spot, and waiting, or should I move around, looking for tracks?
Should I keep the camera on Manual focus, and combine that with a high ISO and reasonable aperture?
I really want a few pictures of these timid creatures, because I have told a few local people about them, and they seriously doubt me.

Andy

Its always been me getting too close to deer that has frightened them away. I've never had the noise of autofocus scare them away.

Could you find a suitable clearing and bait it up with some old bread/veg/fruit and then the hard bit...invest in hours of waiting ...watching and seeing if anything starts taking the free grub...You might get a lot more than the Deer.

If the clearing is light enough(in some conditions) you could use the AF then.

Keith (y)

I have seen the odd dear turn up in my town but I never have my camera with me :( But if i ever get round to it, I might well try the bait (maybe for even a few days and wait.)

If I plan to sit in a wood I don't wash with scented soap or I may not wash much at all. I also wear cloths that I have worn before... Keep the wind on your face and you may be able to stalk them.. Or find a good place to sit against a tree to hide your shape etc, but one that allows light to fall in a spot where the deer might turn up to..

Army style make up and a wide brimmed hat might help too..

I managed to get with in 10m of some in Bushey Park today, just kept low and slow. I think I could have gotten closer, but you risk spooking them and causing injury to the deer, your self or someone else.

As they where under a tree and it was my first time out with an SLR the shots where a touch lousy but I can't blame the dear for that.

As soon as the deer see you stand very still and continue to do this until they all continue to eat again. Once their heads are down and eating start to walk slowly towards them, once of the deer look up stand still again and repeat the process. It has taken me up to 45 mins to get close to stags but it is suprising how close you can get in the end.

Good luck.

As soon as the deer see you stand very still and continue to do this until they all continue to eat again. Once their heads are down and eating start to walk slowly towards them, once of the deer look up stand still again and repeat the process. It has taken me up to 45 mins to get close to stags but it is suprising how close you can get in the end.

Good luck.

This is good advice.

Most animals will look up every few seconds to check that they are safe and nothing is stalking them, its a lot harder if animals are in packs, as some watch while other feed.

Look at the way predatory animals behave and you'll get a pretty close idea of what you have to do.

Lions and such like will lower thier body to the ground whilst walking toward the prey, although they are moving, the shape of the body full on hardly moves, combined with colour advantage and blending in with surrounding this makes great camouflage.

Blend in with your surroundings, don't wear clothes that make a noise, and don't wear anything that will disturb your shape, like wide brim hats, beanie hats are a good option because if your turn you head, nothing really moves.

But be prepared to wait for a long time as it can and will take however long it takes.

If you want to go all out with the camo side of things, get yourself a ghillie suit, or buy a hide and find an area that is suitable for getting shots, plant it there and leave it, let the Deer get used to something that they dont know about.

If I plan to sit in a wood I don't wash with scented soap or I may not wash much at all. I also wear cloths that I have worn before... Keep the wind on your face and you may be able to stalk them.. Or find a good place to sit against a tree to hide your shape etc, but one that allows light to fall in a spot where the deer might turn up to..

Army style make up and a wide brimmed hat might help too..

This is pretty much what I used to do, when fishing (stalking Chub and Pike). I tend to be very quiet and light on my feet, despite being big.
I may just choose a spot, and sit there for a few hours (drift off to sleep, start snoring, and scare every living thing within ten miles away :LOL: - only joking).
The problem with the autofocus had nothing to do with noise, just the fact that it refused to focus quickly enough, simply reverting to its "in, out, in, out, shake it all about" mode.
Baiting up also sounds a good idea.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Andy

I know nothing about fallow deer, but they are not much different than any other deer,so here is my advice.

Deer have awful eyesight for detail.They see shapes and movement,no more.

They rely on scent and hearing.

Stay low and wear green.

They are nosy buggers and will come to have a look, make sure you are upwind.

Be careful, the stags can get arsey, especially in the rut. Make sure you can climb out of the way, you will not out run them or out manouvre them. And those antlers are very hard.

You can tempt them to where you want them to be, that is down to time and patience.

Hope that helps.

I managed to get with in 10m of some in Bushey Park today, just kept low and slow. I think I could have gotten closer, but you risk spooking them and causing injury to the deer, your self or someone else.

As they where under a tree and it was my first time out with an SLR the shots where a touch lousy but I can't blame the dear for that.

In Bushy Park and Richmond Park you can walk right up to them... Wild deer are very different..

Spent a whole four hours, just walking around, listening and waiting. I covered around ten miles, and apart from the original place where I spotted them, there was nothing to be seen, apart from some fresh deer poo. There was plenty of noise from the forest areas, where they were walking around, but even concentrating, keeping quiet, and letting my eyes become accustomed to looking for shadows was fruitless.
I will not give up!;)

Deer can be difficult, I spent hours in Scotland years ago following them never to get close enough. Dont wear aftershave, deodourant etc, they will smell you long before you see them.

Went for a walk round an old cemetary 200 yds from home last night and caught this, it was taken at 170mm focal length, and probably around 10 yards or so away. I figure it has seen me long before I had seen it.
Just need a better lens now as this seems a bit soft.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

We've got lots of deer on our old landfill site, right in the middle of housing

Early morning around dawn is the best time to see them, although I've disturbed them at other times. Early morning they are still out and feeding.
Keep fairly still and they try to make you out but will look attentively in your direction.

Full frame, these are shot 300-350mm on my 100-400 lens

126211288.jpg

126211291.jpg

126211293.jpg

Tips..

1 - always approach from down wind of the animals, that way your scent is being blown behind you, not ahead of you to warn them, avoid smelly soaps and sprays, avoid smoking.
To check which way the wind is blowing pick up some dry grass or dirt and drop it, it needs to be being blown behind you.

2 - Get some realtree gear, just trousers and a t shirt will do, aldi are doing some cheap at present for fishing, it works as great camo in woodland.

3 - Get or make a lens cover, and cover all shiney items you will be carrying with dark tape or camo tape, the glint from a lens or buckle can spook them from quite some distance.

4 - put your mobile on silent and turn of the vibrate function, trust me I learnt the hard way on this one.

5 - USM or HSM motor lenses are better as some can be noisy.

6 - pre focus, or use a focus limit switch if one is fitted to your lenses.

7 - Watch a few deer stalking video's on you tube, yes I know some find hunting distasteful but the skill's the hunter is using to get within range of the deer are the ones you need to photograph them up close.

Back