Family Candids

Name
let me think....Donald
Edit My Images
Yes
I did the annual migration over the weekend to see my parents. Needless to say took loads of snaps and most of them were rubbish. These three pleased me but I am greatly biased, straight off the camera with appropriate cropping.

What could I have done better bearing in mind they were not posed?

Donald

mum4.jpg

matthew2.jpg

julie1.jpg

You have caught some lovely light and a nice expression in #1. The other 2, not my cuppa - but then again, family snaps are really special for those who take. With regards to making them better, it's difficult as you are aiming for candid. Just make sure you try and get the best background you can, and wait for those nice expressions?

Gary.

I really like the warm light of the first one. As they are family shots - if you and the family are happy with them then they've worked, it's not really for anyone else to say whether you've not caught what you wanted of the person. If you want 'better' I'd suggest keep taking the shots - as it's presumably always going to be at someone's home you'll always have a bit of difficulty with backgrounds, stray arms, lighting and the like.

And you could always try posing your family. It's taken me three years but now if my sons are in shot as well I can sometimes - with a fair wind - get my wife to enjoy being in front of the camera. Sometimes.

Back