FAO motorsport photographers

a bloody big flashgun?

I guess it depends on how far away from the action you are. within the range of your flashgun, then it's just a matter of experimenting with the flash exposure til you get it right, fastest sync speed possible and then adjust aperture to suit.

I'm no expert and my experiences last night were a total learning curve, having never used flash in any kind of live situation.

best I can offer I'm afraid.

I'm also going to Brands Hatch for this event. If it's any help I'm taking my main flash gun plus x3 camera batteries, serveral sets of batteries for the flash gun plus all the normal bag filling bits and my tripod for getting (I hope) some good light trails.

Oh yes and a naffing big torch too!!!!

will drivers get chuffed off with huge flashes from people in t'crowd?

what circuit layout are they using? If its the full track, there are some excellent places to get set up

EosD said:
will drivers get chuffed off with huge flashes from people in t'crowd?

I was worried about that too tbh.

Good to hear you are going daveyuk. Do you know what the basic timetable for these events is? Will there be racing during the day as well, or just qualifying? There's no timetable on the website yet.

Thanks for the replies all.

Heres a rough crop of one from today:

DSC_5554a.jpg

Its a crop of the basic jpeg. I havent had time to play with the raw files yet.

Nikon D70, 50m f1.8
f1.8, 1/160th, ISO 800
Probably needs noise filtering.

Im not sure its the best, but its one of the better ones.

I took my sb-600, but I couldnt get it to turn on (guess the batteries are flat). :(

I worked out I got the best shots taking pics of cars when they were illuminated by the headlights of the car behind as they went round a corner. Had to use fully manual mode too.

Also, it was COLD!

Anyway, I had a good day. I will do a proper thread with the results at some point.

Thanks all. :)

Back