Farnborough 2012

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I heard a racket outside, grabbed the camera, quickly shoved on the 300mm f/4 plus Kenko 1.4 TC and rushed out. Seems that preparations for Farnborough 2012 have started. The light was poor and the sky overcast, so not ideal.

1. I know there is not much prop blur on this but I was in a hurry. ;)

Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey by jomike, on Flickr

2. I first thought this was the Dutch F16 but on closer inspection it seems to be a F17 Thunder. Pakistani maybe? Edit: Now ID'd as a Korean Black Eagles T50.

Korean Black Eagles T50 by jomike, on Flickr

3. He came right overhead on his landing approach.

Korean Black Eagles T50 by jomike, on Flickr

Last edited:
the last two are part of the korean black eagles display team, 2 of them departed waddington on the sunday to go to farnborough for validation of there display ,

its a t50 aircraft and good work with the quick captures

I heard the Korean Black Eagle in Bracknell!

I'll be there on the Sunday, hope the weather improves.

I have a friend who is a aircraft marshal at Farnborough hoping he can get me some kind of access general public can't get too!

I will at Farnborough this year! I have half days all next week courtesy of work :) so I will be taking plenty of snaps during the week from the beer garden at the swan! and then in on Friday, Sat and Sun!

Hopefully this crap weather will cheer up! If anyone is about come say. I will be shooting with a d300s with a 70-200 strapped to the front or a 50-500mm .. But you will more than likely be able to recognise me by my bright blue trainers :)

Good shots fella! The 787 is a right poser! I got some today, where these taken from the swan?

I was there today, just wondered if you where nearby?

Thanks Matt.

These were all taken from my back garden. I do intend going to the Swan area at some stage, probably Saturday and/or Sunday depending on the weather.

Is the Swan a pub or something?

I am hoping to go tomorrow for the jets if the weather is reasonable and am looking for a decent viewing area. Last time I was there for the show the police moved us on right in the middle of the display.

The official demo Airbus A380 was out this afternoon. He made a nice wide circuit on his landing approach so I could get some top angle shots.

Airbus A380 by jomike, on Flickr

2. This was taken with the D50 and the Sigma 70-300 APO for a wider angle than the 300mm + 1.4TC.

Airbus A380 by jomike, on Flickr

Then it started raining and the visibility dropped to nothing.

Really enjoyed these - the commercial aircraft make for great photos too. I'm looking forward to seeing the two latest 'biggies' This 787 and the A380-hopefully on a near-future trip the LHR...destination, Myrtle Avenue-It will be a first there.

Where were you when you took these? I'm local so thought of cycling to Eelmoor hill at the end of the runway and sitting there. I've got a Canon 70-300 non L or the old Sigma 170-500mm, will these be good enough from that end of the field?
With the wearer i'm not sue how well the Sigma will fare.

Where were you when you took these? I'm local so thought of cycling to Eelmoor hill at the end of the runway and sitting there. I've got a Canon 70-300 non L or the old Sigma 170-500mm, will these be good enough from that end of the field?
With the wearer i'm not sue how well the Sigma will fare.

I am in Frimley Green and have never been on that side of Farnborough, so I don't know how close the planes come after taking off.

I am going to the Swan pub area tomorrow and/or Sunday where the planes come in to land right over your head. Here a 70-300 should be all you need.

I am in Frimley Green and have never been on that side of Farnborough, so I don't know how close the planes come after taking off.

I am going to the Swan pub area tomorrow and/or Sunday where the planes come in to land right over your head. Here a 70-300 should be all you need./QUOTE]

When I lived in Farnborough that area always looked packed. Can you get some clear shots with all the people around?

Excellent shots.Although the real close-ups are impressive photo 2 really appeals to me-the angle of it.

Thanks John.

Terrible conditions today, rain, low cloud, bad light etc.

Hope tomorrow will be better as I plan to go to the airfield.

1. The low cloud kept the planes low, so one good thing I suppose.

Breitling jet team by jomike, on Flickr

2. Low clouds meant bad visibility, but I like the ghostly effect here.

Breitling jet team by jomike, on Flickr

3. Red Arrows were superb as ever despite the conditions.

Red Arrows by jomike, on Flickr

Went out to the airfield today and watched the display. Much better weather than yesterday.

Here are a few that I have edited so far.

1. Breitling wing walkers

Breitling wing walkers by jomike, on Flickr

2. BBMF. No Hurricane this time.

Lancaster and Spitfire by jomike, on Flickr

3. Lanc on her own.

Lancaster by jomike, on Flickr

4.Tiffy afterburners

Eurofighter Typhoon by jomike, on Flickr

5. FA 18 afterburners

FA 18 by jomike, on Flickr

6. Tornado afterburners.

Tornado by jomike, on Flickr

Last edited:
Despite the weather Mike,you can fairly say, two successful days - really enjoyed going through all of them.

Back