Fasthostingdirect - using your own HTML/CSS

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have just left 1and1, after a bad service, and taken my hosting over to the guys mentioned above - I was basically wondering if someone can give me some insight on how to/if it's possible to use your own HTML/css template to create your own design - instead of using the web builder.

Reason being: the web builder has crappy templates, if Im honest.
I can't seem to find a way in including the HTML - at all.. In the 'add page' section - instead of going for their 'presets' there's 'create your own HTML' everytime I click that and enter the HTML for a webpage I've created; I get the web builder layout and then bunch on 'boxes' and blue question mark boxes and nothing else. It basically just goes bellies up.

The control panel for this hosting is very confusing for me to try and work my way around - not very user friendly, so was wondering if I can get some help/insight from someone on how to do this myself.

I ALSO want to get a flash gallery inputted into my site, but that doesn't seem to work either - any help on that, too?

Many Thanks - would really appreciate some replies :)

no idea about the company above, however, check your admin panel for FTP info.

If it provides FTP info you can develop the code locally and then upload it with an FTP program :)

I've done that - doesn't work :( I'd done that with Simpleviewer, click on the the 'images' and the xml files[cos couldn't rem which uploads them] and one, nothing appears for me to then implement them onto the site, and 2, the 'images' file shows just a blank black page, and the xmal just has all the filenames written one after another...

And how can I do that for layout design, too?

Thanks for your help -will try again just now with Simpleviewer!

I've just bought some space with them, but I'm (slowly) playing with Joomla instead.

Are you finding it as hard as me to use?
I've just found they got their own carpy web gallery - which I'll use as a temp - I have simpleviwer uploaded in 3diff ways sitting on the web system, with it not doing anything - and I have numerous attempted templates on my desktop, too.

I can't understand why its so hard to do simple things!
I'll give Joomla a go[have you actually got it loaded onto your site/any pages yet? - If so, do you mind giving me a step by step[or even just the later steps - once you've FTP loaded it - to see if I'm missing something etc?

via the ftp option what directory are you uploading to?

examples of my server which makes and changes sites content.

httpdocs
httpsdocs

on my back up server the directory i upload to is

web

I have no clue, sorry all this is whizzing over my head - I did HTML and IT at GCSE, but half my brain capacity has been lost since then - and musta taken that with it!

I'm saving it to public....It says to do that when u join up...Save everything to that directory. If thats not the answer you were after -woops!

So FTP I upload to the public folder...

I have loaded Joomla etc, but erm, what exactly do I with it? I think I got it mixed up wit some other program beginning with J!! :LOL: :coat:

As (some) Pro Togs are always banging on about getting a professional to take photos, Why not get a web designer to do your site..

;)

Joomla takes a bit of work, it's not like just throwing it up onto your site etc.

I've got a local copy running on my PC at home with a dev copy of my template/site and I'm slowly working my way through it. I just jumped last month to get the cheap 2 year hosting deal.

They've plenty of support for other systems. Wordpress etc

What did you think you were going to do?

I don't know :LOL: :( I just didn't realise what it was *rollseyes* I'm confused by what it actually is... Cos the 'mydomain/joomla' just brings up their own site blog style thing.

Derek - cos money is very tight for me right now, and I think it's good for me to learn how to do this stuff?

BTWm Byker - that 2year deal is app their only deal, they just put fake deadlines for the deal up - and extend them once that date comes :LOL: sneaky, isn't it?

£20 for two years unlimited hosting plus free domain name isn't bad though.

How about looking for templates to use. There's a few freebie joomla ones around, or wordpress, then you could change colour scheme plus your own content to make it more your own.
edit: or there are quite a few good ones for not much money.

Mind you - I'm the worse one to comment really. I've only been playing with Joomla on and off for the last month

Byker - the problem I'm having is that the site isn't accepting any HTML I put it, ANY, no matter how simple/complex etc. - that was my intial problem, I have no clue how it wants to work because nothing is working - so there must be some sort of hidden factors that site isn't sharing. It's really confusing/annoying.

I'll have a look at joomla templates - tried wordpress last night but it was late, I was tired and I couldn't do a long in - something didnt wanna give! very annoying.

I will try to persist. Thanks.

I built mine off line making the mistakes there then started on the online one.
Made a template ok, made a few pages to get the idea, played with galleries. Just need to put it all together online now.

If you want to play with Joomla, then I'd recommend using Xampp to play on a local install.

I think I'm giving up with this, and just gonna use the basic things[including photo gallery] that FHD came with. This is stressing me out so much cos I'm either doing things to the T and they're just not working or I just can't figure what some things do/to do etc.

Gawd all these simple things are so not simple!

Have you uploaded a simple page called index.html to the root of public_html folder?

I'm probably going over the basics again, but have you spoken to their support team?

Post (or PM) the URL so that other people can have a look and try to help.

I meant the URL you are expecting your site to be at ;)

Oh - I have a site loaded atm, that I'm happy to continue using if no other solution can be found. And it's not photography related, only like 5% of it is, so not sure I should be flaunting it on here - anyway, I've e-mailed fasthostingdirect and we shall see whats concludedd!

if you are really struggling you can PM me the FTP details and I will have a look at it for you.

I'm struggling again, have gone through another avenue to load simpleviewer[I do, really, ideally want this...I want a flash player] I got an e-mail from fasthosting direct about using my own HTML web template, which I did wanna do, but can surfice[sp?] without, so their advice doesn't really stand for simpleviewer. Anyway, I have everything loaded onto the server, all present and correct, the moment I go to click view gallery or such like I get 'forbidden' messages, in the support database it says if you get messages like this to delete the htaccess file - which I've done[used to work for other things] but isn't fixing this problem, can someone please help me? This is really annoying, and should be something SO simple :(

Harvey, gonna pm you, not sure you can help with this?

EDIT: OK, seem to have got over that hurdle, have no clue how, but not goa think, at least it's done. NOW, how can I create a tab/page on my website that when it clicks it goes straight to this page? - I don't quite understand this step, cos atm I'm gonna just have to make a tab and then waste that page putting a hyperlink to the directory of the player...uff.

EDIT2: Woops :blush: I've managed to do it...I'll go disappear now..Sorry! Thanks for all help previous to this!

Back