Faulty memory card?

Have you had a memory card fail under guarantee?

Did you return it to the vendor or the manufacturer for replacement? Mines 7 months old and it looks like the vendor (Ebuyer) is telling me to go to the manufacturer (Kingston) . That's not normal, surely?
Ebuyer should deal with it, they are the retailer.

I had a Sandisk fail and claimed under their lifetime warranty.
Lots of stages to go through including sending photos of it, but did eventually get a replacement

After 6 months from purchase the waters get muddy. Probably quicker and easier to deal with the manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice Rich and John.

I don't like the look of this from Ebuyer.......

"10.3.2if the Product was not faulty at the time of purchase, the refund will be calculated based on the age of the Order and you will be refunded a proportionate amount of the original purchase price of the Product. This does not include the carriage cost of the original Order which will not be refunded. "

They say -

"Unfortunately the return period for this item has now expired.

Please seek advice from the manufacturer of the product, in most cases they will deal with your warranty claims."

Kingston seem to offer a lifetime guarantee but it looks like a bit of a palaver.:( Pity it's bank holiday.......

They cannot impose terms that conflict with your legally established consumer rights.
You are not dealing with a 'return period', the product is faulty after 7 months (i.e. unfit for purpose) and it is for the retailer to rectify this!

Reactions: zx9
They cannot impose terms that conflict with your legally established consumer rights.
You are not dealing with a 'return period', the product is faulty after 7 months (i.e. unfit for purpose) and it is for the retailer to rectify this!

That's what I thought! :)

But I'll take the easy option. If Kingston say they will replace it I'll let them do it.....

That's what I thought! :)

But I'll take the easy option. If Kingston say they will replace it I'll let them do it.....
Kingston are good, I had a usb stick bought from Amazon that died. It was within their 24months warranty period, and they asked for details plus images and a copy of the invoice and send a new one in the post.

Online it states that I would have to send the old one back, but they just said to bin in.A

So yes worth contacting Kingston to get a replacement.

I've contacted both ebuyer and kingston and the former will collect it FoC and return it to Kingston for me. The replacement could take up to a month, though.

As a matter of interest how often do memory cards actually fail?

Fortunately there is very little on the card that I will worry about losing.

Some years ago I attended a studio night organised on here. The host kindly loaned me his D3S for the evening as I was very interested in getting one and wanted to have a go. I shot a few little stints throughout the evening and then the camera played up towards the end. Turned out his CF card had completely died and all my photos went with it :hungover:

Have you had a memory card fail under guarantee?

Did you return it to the vendor or the manufacturer for replacement? Mines 7 months old and it looks like the vendor (Ebuyer) is telling me to go to the manufacturer (Kingston) . That's not normal, surely?
Might not be normal but most sellers only add another jump in the chain and another layer of obfuscation to any updates. Yes,.the vendor should do the running around but on the flip side vendor themselves do not have to provide the service directly they can outsource it to the manufacturer for example.

I've contacted both ebuyer and kingston and the former will collect it FoC and return it to Kingston for me. The replacement could take up to a month, though.

Had one fail and one got corrupted. The failure was a relatively cheap one (still more expensive than 128GB one these days and it was only 64MB!) but the corrupted one was a Kingston. I suspect the corruption was the fault of the camera (or operator!) but I still retired it from general use, reserving it for data transfer between machines. Both CF cards in a D70 and D200 (the corruptor?)

I had one fail many years ago. They seem pretty good though considering the use mine get.

I have had a number of micro SD cards fail, both from Samsung but not had any issues on the standard size SD cards.

Never had a failure but if I did, I would probably just throw it in the bin, buy another and notch up a black mark against that manufacturer for future reference.

Reactions: Nod
Back