Faulty rangefinder? Off-center focus patch

Name
Wilson
Edit My Images
Yes
I have never used a rangefinder before but have taken receipt of a Bessa R2a. In the diagrams in the instruction book it shows the focus zone as centered in the viewfinder, however when I look through the viewfinder it is off-centre.

Photo_091107_001.jpg

Do you think this a faulty camera, should I return it? I am still awaiting delivery of a lens, so do not know whether mounting one would affect the placement of the focus zone, but I doubt that mounting a different lens would move the focus zone?

It might be that some parallax compensation is needed, because the viewfinder is offset from the lens, what you see is slightly different to what the lens sees. Does the problem become more apparent the closer you are to the subject?

/edit p.s. congrats on choosing the finest make of camera in the world, without question :)

Thanks for the reply Steep. I don't have a lens yet, but I had done a little reading for parallax correction. As I understand it, parrallax affects framing and perspective so I don't see why the focus zone would move once I am able to mount one. Wouldn't rather the whole image or framing lines be shifted to compensate for parallax?

I'm sure you're right, the only thing I was thinking of is that the lens is looking at a different point to you and the closer you are to the subject the bigger the difference seems. Have you checked the focus zone on a more distand object to see if it's the same?

The location of the focus patch remains stationary no matter the distance to subject. I have no lens to change the focus distance though.

The focus zone should stay in the same place regardless of which lens you use. Have a look at this link - it seems your problem isn't uncommon. I'd get it back personally.

I hope you get it sorted - lovely camera.

CLICKY

Ok looks like you were right Steep (y), I got the lens when I arrived home. In case there is any confusion, the white square is the focus zone is as seen through the viewfinder, it is not a something I have marked on with a graphics package, it simply looks like a block of white as the camera has overexposed.

Anyhow when focused to minimum distance, the focus zone is in the upper left, when focusing to infinity it moves towards the centre, which I guess sort of makes sense as parallax is less of an issue the further your subject is.

Thanks for the link CT, I think that post is about rangefinder alignment (not about the focus zone placement) which is about whether what you have focused on with the rangefinder is the same as what the taking lens has focused on. This would have been my next test as I have yet to run a roll of film through it. However I will be trying to return the camera as I have noticed some faint lines in the focus zone. I can't see any scratches on all the exterior optics and have cleaned them, so I can only deduce that they are internal and could possibly be fungus? Anyhow it's hassle I can do without so it is back to eBay, a shame as everything else looked okay :(

Damn, that's a shame - I was going to ask you what you thought of it, as I've been eyeing up a Bessa for some time now (I keep on telling myself I don't need one :D).

I'll try and write a little review when I finally get to use it. It's smaller than my slr as expected, but heavier as it is metal vs plastic. Probably not a fair size comparison as I have a zoom mounted on the slr rather than a prime.

DSC_2175.jpg

I got permission to return it, just the faint markings putting me off in the focus zone, I don't know if it's fungal. When making shots don't really notice it. Not sure whether to return it as I bought it for 220 compared to new price of 328 +vat :(

You tried cleaning the mirror/underside of the focusing screen?

I would have to take it apart to get at the rangefinder mechanism, something I would not comfortable doing.

Don't take it apart unless you know what you're doing
Are the faint lines you're seeing vertical - if so it may just be artefact from the frameline window (the whiter window on the front) directly above the lens - this is where the light comes in that illuminates the framelines

The bessa rangefinders are an absolute joy to use, and having got tired of sitting at my computer working on digital files I've jumped back into film with these little beauties. I've got the R3a and R4a. They're extremely simple to use, and takes photography right back to basics.

If you are even vaguely considering one I'd strongly urge you to get one. If you buy one secondhand and decide you don't like it you'll be able to sell it at almost if not the same price as you got it for. They hardly depreciate at all as there is a strong rangefinder community out there that loves them. Indeed I bought a lens for one, decided I didn't get on with the focal length and sold it on ebay for a small profit

Glyn

The lines were curved and faint. I noticed them but most easy to spot when viewing a bright even surface. Artists representation (sorry it's a bit cack-handed):

FocusPatch.gif

I've returned the item and the seller says he can't see anything wrong. So maybe I am very picky, but I have my eye on another. If I lose that I may consider a new one. I considered a R3a but heard the framelines are not good for eye glass wearers?

Have you ever had problems with the rangefinder registration, i.e. does the horizontal alignment in the focus patch match what the lens focus is set to? Also be interested if you ever had to adjust the vertical alignment, the one I had seemed a little off when in close range, but seemed okay further out.

The lines you describe do look suspicious - glad to hear you managed to return it

The R3a is a fantastic camera but you're right about not being great with glasses. You can't see the 40mm framelines well at all with them on. I actually use a corrective diopter lens instead so I can use it without my glasses. Even with this though the 40mm lines are hard to see. I use my R3a with a 50mm lens, and sometimes a 75mm

I've also got an R4a for wide lenses and this works well with 35mm and below. There are 50mm framelines but they're too small for practical use

I'd recommend this combination but it obviously means buying two cameras - the R2a is probably a better all round camera if you just want the one

You'll always find people moaning about their cameras on the internet - basically the ones who are happy with them don't get around to singing their praises. Like I say I've got two bessa bodies - both bought new from Robert White and I haven't had any problems at all. The rangefinders line up fine

Back