Faulty Sigma flashgun.

S

Steve

I have a Sigma EF500 Super DG flash gun that seems to be faulty, I used it a couple of months ago but when I wanted to use it this week it’s totally dead. I have tried 8 different rechargeable batteries, 4 new AA batteries and still no joy.

As it is out of guarantee I though a quick visit to Sigma’s UK website might give me a indication of my options where to my horror I was met with the quote below..

FLASH GUN EF 430 / 500 Super / EF 500 Super DG -Circuit / zoom / hotshoe £74.99

The above is just an estimate, the actual cost could be higher :(

What I really want to know is how can they justify that cost when the flash gun can be bought new for not that much more? :confused-

Has anyone had any issues with this flashgun or any suggestions as to what to do now, I don't really want to be spending £75 for a repair.

Send them an email mate.
The EU is supposed to be pushing through new regs for electronic kit for minimum warranty of two years.
Some companies already realise that they need to change their ways and are already honouring the change.

Good luck

How old is the gun Steve? Any sign of corrosion on the battery contacts?

The gun is about 18months old, batteries where never left in the gun when it was not in use. I have only ever used re chargeable batts and they have never leaked, the contacts in the gun are perfect as are the hotshoe connectors as well.

The gun is in perfect condition, has no bumps, dents or sign of wear at all as it has been treated exceptionally like all my equipment. Honestly you would not be able to tell the difference between this and a brand new one.

I am guessing it’s a contact problem, switch or some other internal component failure. It’s a real shame and I guess just one of those things. I will send Sigma an email tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they will offer to inspect the gun and if it’s something that is related to the manufacture, replace or repair free of charge.

The first one I bought was faulty. It wouldn't fire when I told it too, even when I pushed test. It just clicked instead. I was lucky to get it replaced the next day. The 2nd one is currently a small bit wobbly when mounted (steady :p). The base seems to be a bit broke oddly.

been no problems here, touch wood. When it's on the camera it is possible to slightly rotate it though.

Back