favourite indie lenses

Edit My Images
No
For those unable to afford marque primes for every occasion, here's a thread devoted to those invaluable ugly ducklings of the camera world - the independent lens maker. Vivitar, Sigma, Tokina, even Kestrel. Where would we be without them?

002-7.jpg

Sigma 28-200mm 3.8-5.6, Sigma 28mm 1.8 aspherical, Sigma 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 Apo

Oooo I shall have to post some pictures of the orphan lenses I have. I've got a lovely 500mm f1.8 mirror lens in OM mount sitting here, comes with three ND filters that all fit nicely in the case, lovely lens. But probably worthless as it hasn't got the right name on it. It even does macro.

My Dad was never too fussy about who had made the lens as long as it did the job he was asking of it. He was always of the opinion that the camera was the tool and it was the person behind the lens who took the photographs.

My Dad was never too fussy about who had made the lens as long as it did the job he was asking of it.

Sensible dad........but it's finding the wheat from the chaff, esp with problems e.g. quality control.... which probably explains why someone will praise a lens and another not.

Sensible dad........but it's finding the wheat from the chaff, esp with problems e.g. quality control.... which probably explains why someone will praise a lens and another not.

You get that even now - pretty much every recommendation for the Sigma 10-20mm starts with "If you get a good example it's a ...."

Tair 11A 135 f/2.8
Just lovely to use, sharp wide open.
I've got a Jupiter 11 135 f/4 I'm quite fond of too, its soft...portrait soft, both these lenses have beau bokeh.

iw7t6t.jpg

5d8myh.jpg

Lens makers used to manufacture prime lenses but cut their market slice by making zooms only, which was a pity. The 28mm 1.8 above is as good a wide angle as you'll come across.

Back