Favourite recipes.....

lol. Isn't she one of the 3 witches? I love Terry pratchett, but it's a marmite type thing, you either love it or hate it.

I'll post my recipe for punjabi aloo when I get remember it. but in the meantime you'll have to make do with my energising salad......

Take an equal amount of baby spinach and watercress, add the diced flesh of an avacado, 1/2 a rd onion sliced into paper thin rings, some crumbled feta cheese and some baby tomatoes. CRUCIAL BIT.....dress the salad with the juice of a lime and good EV olive oil.

The salad leaves are very rich in iron and other B vitamins, all good for energy production in the body, the lime juice helps your body absorb the vitamins and iron more eficiently. With the oil and avacado it may seem a bit fatty, but it's all good unsaturated fat. With the protein from the cheese it makes a very nutritional and filling snack.

Sounds not bad Ghandi, shame I don't like avocadoes or tomatoes :( Wee suggestion though, try marinading the onion in the lime juice for a few minutes beforehand, it takes a little of the edge off them and gives a wonderful pink tinge to the dressing.

Gandhi said:
lol. Isn't she one of the 3 witches? I love Terry pratchett, but it's a marmite type thing, you either love it or hate it.

Yep, she's the old, fat, comfortable one with one tooth, the psychopathic cat Greebo & the tendency to sing "the hedgehog can never be bu**ered" at the top of her voice when drunk (& no, that's not buttered folks :LOL: )

PS. Sorry to anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't mind that aloo recipie Gandhi, love anything like that.

Gandhi said:

I'll post my recipe for punjabi aloo when I get remember it. but in the meantime you'll have to make do with my energising salad......

Take an equal amount of baby spinach and watercress, add the diced flesh of an avacado, 1/2 a rd onion sliced into paper thin rings, some crumbled feta cheese and some baby tomatoes. CRUCIAL BIT.....dress the salad with the juice of a lime and good EV olive oil.

The salad leaves are very rich in iron and other B vitamins, all good for energy production in the body, the lime juice helps your body absorb the vitamins and iron more eficiently. With the oil and avacado it may seem a bit fatty, but it's all good unsaturated fat. With the protein from the cheese it makes a very nutritional and filling snack.

mmmmm sounds delish!

Punjabi Aloo......Serve with Lassi (the drink, not the dog!), Flat breads and green veg....

1 onion
Tablespoon of Ginger
about 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
4 very ripe tomatoes (you could use tinned at a push)
a hot green chilli
turmeric and cayenne pepper (bout 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon each but to taste)
salt
1Lb of potatoes (cut into about 1 inch dice or so)
Teaspoon of Garam Masala (see below)

Fry off the onion then add the garlic and ginger and stir for a minute or so (don't burn the garlic!)

everything else in except the garam and potatoes and cook for a couple of mins

add the potatoes and about 1/2 pint of water (not too much or it'll end up like soup)

Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to simmer for about 20mins or until potatoes are cooked, remove cover and turn up the heat for about 10mins to thicken the sauce. If it still doesn't thicken well, mash a couple of the potato pieces into it, that should sort it out. Stir in the Garam and serve.

The way this dish turns out depends on the type of potatoes you use...waxy ones like desiree tend to stay whole and firm, floury ones will reduce this to a lovely mush, almost like a very thick soup, so take your pick.

I tend to make my own garam masala using....

1Tbsp cardamom (seeds, not the pods!)
1tsp each of cloves, black peppercorns and cumin seeds
2inches of cinnamon
nutmeg
bay leaf

Grind it all up and bobs your uncle. Much nicer flavour than schwartz, especially if you like cardamom.

Veggie tastic and low in fat (but not carbs)

Banana Muffins

10 oz (280g) plain flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
3 large well ripened bananas peeled & mashed
4-5 oz (110-140g) white granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten with a fork
3oz (85g) butter or margarine, melted OR 3 fl oz (90ml) corn oil
2 fl oz (60ml) milk OR water

- Prepare muffin tins. preheat oven to 375-400 F (190-200 C)

- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients

- In another bowl, mash bananas thoroughly with a potato masher. Add beaten egg, melted butter / oil and milk / water

- Pour all of wet ingredients into dry. Stir until just combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as you stir. batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible. do not over mix.

- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full, or to the top for larger muffins. Makes 11-12. Bake for 20-25 mins, until tops are lightly browned and spring back when touched

- Enjoy... these are the most scrummy muffins ever :)

minimeeze said:
Banana Muffins

10 oz (280g) plain flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
3 large well ripened bananas peeled & mashed
4-5 oz (110-140g) white granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten with a fork
3oz (85g) butter or margarine, melted OR 3 fl oz (90ml) corn oil
2 fl oz (60ml) milk OR water

- Prepare muffin tins. preheat oven to 375-400 F (190-200 C)

- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients

- In another bowl, mash bananas thoroughly with a potato masher. Add beaten egg, melted butter / oil and milk / water

- Pour all of wet ingredients into dry. Stir until just combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as you stir. batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible. do not over mix.

- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full, or to the top for larger muffins. Makes 11-12. Bake for 20-25 mins, until tops are lightly browned and spring back when touched

- Enjoy... these are the most scrummy muffins ever :)

I think we'll be making theseMin :clap:

Think I'll have to have a whirl at making those muffins, too (y)

Quick and easy - smoked salmon pasta. Done in 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
1) Garlic
2) Button mushroom
3) Smoked salmon
4) Half-fat cream
5) Pasta
6) Olive oil
7) Salt
8) Ground black pepper
9) bit of butter

Directions:
Scale proportions to your liking