Feebo`s Insects

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
I love taking photos of insects in my garden. My love of all things creepy crawley (exept spiders of course) has even seen me finding a rare beetle species which I was chuffed with. :)
I`ll add to this thread now and then because I do take rather a lot of insect photos! lol
whitelady001.jpg

I forget what that beautiful white flying thing is called, my wife knows though, I`ll ask her... Looks like a wee angel doesn`t it....
Oh I love this next one! lol I call it "Fly Family Photograph" I rarely name my photos but this one I just had to. To me, it looks like one of those cheesy backgrounds the photographer would put you in front of for your school photograph. This fly even changed poses for a good few minutes lol I`ve got loads of photos of it lifting up it`s body and turning around a little etc lol It makes me smile every time I look at this one lol :) Even though it`s a fly. It was taken on a fence in my garden. A big bright sky in the background would normally ruin things light wise but in this photo it just looks like a set! lol
babyspiders107.jpg

Last edited:
I like these - fascinating subjects and good quality pictures.

Thanks
Ian

Cheers Ian :D
I discovered this ball of newly hatched baby spiders by moving my head through about a million of them. I wasn`t best pleased to say the least. Still, the camera came out for a few photos before I went scrambling in to my wife lol Aaaaargh!!! Spiders !! Head!! Help!!!
babyspiders070.jpg

Last edited:
This is a Cardinal beetle. Friendly little thing it was. :) I didn`t think it`d still be there when I came back with my camera but it was and it seemed happy to pose! lol It couldn`t have been better if it was obeying commands lol
RedBeetle099.jpg

I got quite a few pictures of him but these two are my favourite....
RedBeetle112.jpg

Welcome Ryan - nice set incuding the White Plume Moth which is such a delicate creature.
I too have always had a love for insects moreso butterflies and moths and I have treated myself to a 100mm f2.8 macro which I am itching to use as soon as I can.
John

Cheers Thomas :) I couldn`t afford a macro so I looked for cheaper options. I ended up buying a £10 set of what look like magnifying glasses that screw onto the front of the lens. The results are very impressive! Here are a couple of insect shots taken using my £10 macro set....
fulicasale155.jpg

fulicasale154.jpg

The creatures below are MUCH smaller than a pinhead.You can`t see the legs with your naked eye, they just look like dots. They`re called Springtails and I use them to keep my tropical snail enclosures clean...
Miteyclose001.jpg

I also use tropical woodlice which are much smaller than UK native ones. These little guys are about the size of a match head.....
Macrospring025.jpg

That just goes to show it`s always worth experimenting, you don`t always need top notch kit to get good results :)

Last edited:
You are certainly getting some good results and after all its the person using the equipment that makes the difference no matter how much you spend on it but its nice to treat yourself just occasionally.
Well done on your rarity you spoke of earlier.
John

Thanks John :)
This is a beautiful butterfly that flew out of my workshop when I opened the door. They seem to go in there to die. It was a little ragged but beautiful as ever. I think it`s a Peacock boutterfly....
jag012.jpg

A cute looking little insect on my wife`s old car....
Lappyback081.jpg

This was before I got the hang of things with my cheap macro set really. I`d quite like to know what it actually is, it`s such a lovely little thing :)

Last edited:
This is one of those odd little hover flys you get in your garden. This was in my greenhouse, about a second later my camera fogged up...
Lappyback040.jpg

I`m not sure what they`re called but they`re like magnifying lenses that screw onto the front of your lens. £10 oft net. I`d still like a decent macro set but this`ll surely do in the mean time..... :)

Back