Yes
All taken today at my local river.

Canon 1Ds MKII,l ens 70-200 F2.8 +1.4 TC or 100-400 L

Larger image link under each.

Female mandarin

1/250sec @f5 ISO400. spot metering

VK0I6505s.jpg

www.lesmclean.co.uk/Mandarin%20ducks/VK0I6505.jpg

Curly perms (very trendy in Liverpool I understand ;) )

1/640 sec @ f8, ISO400, spot metering, fill flash -1.67

VK0I6652s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Mandarin ducks/VK0I6652.jpg

1/320 sec @ f5.6, ISO200, spot metering, fill flash -1.67

VK0I6706s.jpg

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/Mandarin ducks/VK0I6706.jpg

Not bad captures, but....

... your colours are out. The first has a "sepia" tone and the latter 2 are amost HDR in red luminosity.

Not bad captures, but....

... your colours are out. The first has a "sepia" tone and the latter 2 are amost HDR in red luminosity.

No, first was
due to reflected sunlight, last two probably due to fill flash, although the red is vivid anyway.

Sorry, should have said so in the first reply, but IMHO you've published far far better here. Usually in the level of great to stunning.
You might think the colours are OK. No one else has yet replied so we'll have to agree to differ.
(no hard feelings I hope).

Sorry, should have said so in the first reply, but IMHO you've published far far better here. Usually in the level of great to stunning.
You might think the colours are OK. No one else has yet replied so we'll have to agree to differ.
(no hard feelings I hope).

Course not :)

And I agree , should have explained the light in my post.

I have to agree with oldgit on this one Les. I don't mind the colouring on the first one too much (Although personally i'd probably shift the whitebalance a little) but the red on those second two is nearly leaving my monitor with screenburn. ;) Cute little thing that Mandarin isn't it.

have to :agree: with Sr O Git about the first
lovely duck, but a touch on the sepia side

the other two are just plain ugly (ok shouldn't comment on the models, but they are so gross!)
don't know if the reds are accurate, but they are bright! :nuts:

imho

I have to agree with oldgit on this one Les. I don't mind the colouring on the first one too much (Although personally i'd probably shift the whitebalance a little) but the red on those second two is nearly leaving my monitor with screenburn. ;) Cute little thing that Mandarin isn't it.

No that's fine, the dillema I've got, is that while I'm prepared to enhance lighting (like most of us), I would never feel comfortable changing it, so the little Mandarin stays as is, fortunately I got a nice warm reflected light in the afternoons one splash od sun.

The second two, although these have vivid red patches, was probably caused by the fill flash, so I can accept that critique, (I can accept the first, but I'm still more than conmfortable with the warm light I got)

Still look on the bright side (so to speak), at least I didn't ruin them totally by trying to HDR the images ;) :)

Reds look fine to me from here. I tend to agree about the sepia of the 1st one, but I don't think that makes it any worse a shot.

They're all beautifully sharp and the detail is amazing. Great stuff.

Back