Female Wood Warbler (i think)

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
I know it s not the best shot the conditions here in Wales is absolutely terrible but was wondering if iv e got the ID right on this bird as I have never seen one before

wood_warbler.JPG

My first impressioins was that it was a Bonelli's Warbler, but its in the wrong country for it to be that unless its lost :p I would have to say though that the most likely charcteristics (Yellow neck and yellow streaks at teh back) would make it a Wood Warbler, yes.

I'm sure someone will be able to definatly confirm this however :)

I am no expert Kaz but those small bar markings on the wing tips suggest it to be a Wood Warbler, according to my little book :D Great picture (y)(y)

Hmmm its a toughie, wood warblers generally have a much more prominent green colour on their back, and the underside is quite yellow.
Why don`t you submit it to a bird forum those guys should be able to settle it.

The other thing that strikes me is that Wood Warblers tend to be a bit longer, this 1 is a lot more "short and fat" as it where so i'm just wondering if it is a Bonnelli's Warbler that has decided to visit us. It looks a lot like it is one.

The other thing that strikes me is that Wood Warblers tend to be a bit longer, this 1 is a lot more "short and fat" as it where so i'm just wondering if it is a Bonnelli's Warbler that has decided to visit us. It looks a lot like it is one.

:thinking: I was going to say the opposite. The pics in my book show the Bonnelli to be longer in the body, and is covered more in white on the underside, also the Bonnelli does not have that prominent dark marking across the eye whereas the Wood Warbler does.

thanks everyone i am more confused now been looking on the interenet and can t make up my mind whether it is a willow or female wood now hopefully tomorrows weather is looking better so will try and get better shots as it was hammering it down and really dull yesterday

This has been bugging me all day now so i have just checked my books and it appear that this is more than likely a Juvenile Willow Warbler.

It would appear that the juvenile has the yellow marks i described above and it does look like a young bird so i now say Willow Warbler.

Hope that helps :)

This has been bugging me all day now so i have just checked my books and it appear that this is more than likely a Juvenile Willow Warbler.

It would appear that the juvenile has the yellow marks i described above and it does look like a young bird so i now say Willow Warbler.

Juveniles are birds of the year - ie recently fledged. It will be too early in the year to be a juv.

Wood warbler has a yellow chest and a white belly, with a very definite demarcation between the two.

It's difficult to tell with this wet looking individual, but my guess would be NOT wood warbler, and the flesh coloured legs suggests willow warbler, not chiffchaff.

But definitely not a juv!

Nice pic actually!

Last edited:
I will stick with willow warbler. I have never saw a wood warbler but the link on this hread shows many differences including bill colour and plumage is different--although i know this can change slightly from bird to bird.

it is so difficult to decide

NIce shot Karen whatever it is (y)

I hope your weather improves :)

thanks the weather is the pitts i told you i was not meant to have this bloody camera:LOL:

Did you hear it call.......might be a sure fire way to identify it.

it was singing away but i wouldn t be able to tell

This has been bugging me all day now so i have just checked my books and it appear that this is more than likely a Juvenile Willow Warbler[.

:LOL:it has given you something to do thanks for all your info it is bugging me to

Juveniles are birds of the year - ie recently fledged. It will be too early in the year to be a juv.

Wood warbler has a yellow chest and a white belly, with a very definite demarcation between the two.

It's difficult to tell with this wet looking individual, but my guess would be NOT wood warbler, and the flesh coloured legs suggests willow warbler, not chiffchaff.

But definitely not a juv!

Nice pic actually!

i don t think it is a juv either am going to try and get a better shot tomorrow there is a great red kite place we have seen alsorts of lovely birds but weather has been terrible certainly not photograpy weather but hopefull for tomorrow:)thanks for info

Back