Ferrari Testarossa - Canary Wharf

Name
Dean Smith
Edit My Images
No
Morning all,

Show this wee beastie on Saturday, thought I'd share the results here for you all.

5004146293_2069c19581_z.jpg

5004753480_e4b42479d2_z.jpg

5004069877_0389144d13_z.jpg

5008424403_0a6892c89c_z.jpg

5008418317_0651522116_z.jpg

Love the second one, that image of the Canary Wharf through the car windscreen looks stunning.
Was this car on a show or something similar or you just ran into it?

Love the second one, that image of the Canary Wharf through the car windscreen looks stunning.
Was this car on a show or something similar or you just ran into it?

Thanks.

[smug mode]
No, I arranged the shoot as I needed to submit a new piece of work for my nomination of Photographer Of The Year for the headline auto awards 2010
[/smug mode]

I'd been trying to meet with the owner for a while so seemed like a good excuse :-D

lovely car - had a ride in one of those once... back in (longer ago than i care to remember.)

trying to convince myself it looks "right" in Yellow though.........Used to be an idiot round here with a black one who had a habit of driving it with no lights on at dusk.

2nd one for me - as for reasons above - CW showing through the windows of the car. For me 1 and 4, the distance between CW and the car is too great - could almost be studio shots and CW added later ---- am not saying this is the case --- just gives that impression that it could be as nothing to link the 2 subjects.

For me 1 and 4, the distance between CW and the car is too great - could almost be studio shots and CW added later ---- am not saying this is the case --- just gives that impression that it could be as nothing to link the 2 subjects.

Exactly what I was thinking at first when I saw these shots but now Lynton has put a finger on it.
That's the reason the 1 and 4 do not work for me, its the distance of CW lights in relation to the car. And my very first impression was even that they were dont in PP, but then when I saw the other ones I found out that they were on location.

I am no expert on these type of shots but there must be a way of making these work much better in my view, may be its the sharp CW that is not working. Would it work better if it looked like an ordinary background which loses a bit of sharpness? Don't know, am just speculating here but I would certailnly try my hand on them and see if works

I love these :) Brilliant location and lighting, really like the subtle touches such as the desaturated sky (I am assuming) really finishes of the photos!

Agree with your thinking on 1 & 4. I wanted to shoot with a long focal length which would have looked 10x better, unfortunately there was no room due to parked cards everywhere.

I guess I could have shot at a lower aperture to give a better DOF, maybe just the one frame for the background (was shooting at f/10).

I'm afraid my light painting tools and technique is a closely guarded secret of mine. Sorry to come accross as a bore!

To the guys commenting about 1&4 looking a bit disjointed, viewing on a calibrated monitor makes a big difference.

The wall behind the car in 4 is maybe a tad too dark but in 1 there's a convincing amount of detail. When I first saw these I was viewing on my uncalibrated screen and the BG just looks like a mass of black but my calibrated screen brings detail from the darkness.

I'm afraid my light painting tools and technique is a closely guarded secret of mine. Sorry to come accross as a bore!

That's ok, wasn't asking you about your light painting techniques or tools, what I meant was flash lights or lighting used to capture the images, but nevertheless please disregard my question, wasn't my intentin to pry on your technique

Excellent, I tend to agree with 1 and 4, even though I can sort of see some detail there, just about, if I get the viewing angle just right...

However, #2 is spot on, excellent shot. Love the reflection of the Ferrari logo above CW too.

Really nice shots Dean. Love the interior shot with the background.

The one shot I really don't like though is No3. The lighting is perfect but the shot I think is very boring. Think it's because your looking down on the rear panel rather than across it.

Also just noticed in No4 the shadow line along the centre of the bonnet.

number 3 for me, the vivid yellow looks great next to the dark black of the engine cover

First impression is that it looks like you've nicked them from a Ferrari brochure. (y)

#1 and #5 for me, the punchy yellow really works well with such a dark background.

I love the shot with the wharf through the window and the last shot. I don't look in this section much but I am glad I did. I love this car but it should be red ;)

Back