Ferrofluid 1st Try

Name
DARRAL
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

After seeing sybersteve's first try decided to finally give it a go.
This is really hard stuff to work with and needs a lot of time and patience to set up.
Only one pic to show as i rushed the setup a bit not really understanding the behaviour of ferrofluid. Hope to do more soon.

also looks over processed to me

C&C most welcome

pic_12.jpg

Thanks for looking

Hi Darral, cracking first shot and the processing looks fine it's just a bit underexposed. Ferrofluid is damed weird stuff as it tends to defy gravity (and logic) and just kinda flows where it wants to! Here's a link to my ferrofluid gallery on FlickR Click Here, all my shots were taken in natural light but I used cheap white plastic dishes to contain the mess and reflect as much light as possible.

Not bad for a first attempt. I know how ferrofluid has a mind of its own, and tends to do as it pleases. It kind of looks like a sweet to me. The composition could probably be improved to hide the lip of the petri dish showing in the middle of the nut. Other than that well done. Just need spikel2009 to have a go. (y) :wave:

Just spotted this (and Sybersteve's) thread. Welcome to the crazy, and potentially very messy, world of Ferrofluid. Good first go. It's worth playing with variations such as these, but I don't recommend trying the droplets!

Very cool...

I'm gonna look at getting some and a few magnets to have a go :)

Last edited:
Very cool...

How does one go about obtaining Ferro fluid... it seems readily available but I don't know where to get it.

I got mine from here. There are a few sources if you Google it.

Cheers Jim,

yeah I edited my post after I found that site :)

Interesting looking stuff. Think that's going to have to go on the (long) list of "things to have a play with at some point".

Back