Critique Few from my trip to the Lake District

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, I had a rant the other night about how disappointed I was with my photos when I first looked at them once id returned home and took the advice of leave them for a day or so and revisit them which I done and still wasn't fully happy but then I started working and put them in the Photoshop and had a little mess with them stitched a couple and Im a lot happier with the outcome although still far from perfect but thought id stick them up anyway for you to have a look.

Thanks

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

You've got some nice shots amongst those. For me the stand out ones are 7 and 8. I wonder if using and ND Grad would help bring up the foreground, which is a bit under exposed. Quite like no 4 as well

I did read your rant and we all have bad days.

I think the main issue with the first 4 is that the lighting is very flat. On a different day they would have been better.
I don't like anything about 5, the composition is terrible and if you are going to do light trails it needs to be darker.
No.6 is a better attempt at light trails but again the composition isn't great and it looks like it's been shot through a window?
No.7 and 8 are much better, easily the best from your set. The lighting and composition are much better. It's already been mentioned that the foreground is a little dark. I'm not sure if this could be recovered with a bit more PP if you shot in RAW?
No.9 has got potential but also looks a bit flat, plus there is a lot going on with all the branches. With some harsher lighting the detail of these might have been picked out better.

But the main thing is don't get down. I've found that to get a good image, particularly with landscapes, you need good lighting. There is a good reason landscape photographers get up early and take images during the first hour of the day. If it's grey and flat you will struggle.

Better light would make all the difference as said for the first 4

I like 7 & 8

To be honest you've not done bad, some of them actually show fair bit of promise, a lot of the issue is the light which in some of them really isn't nice, but some of them I think could really be brought to life with some decent processing and adjustments...part of the issue is take the second if you'd been there a couple of weeks earlier when there were probably a lot more leaves still on the trees it would really have helped as it is its looking g a little bit barren, but a crop to loose some off the top, and some off the right of frame and give the colour and levels a little bit of a tweak and I still think that it could be brought to life

Who? Photography do you admire when it comes to landscapes? I.e. who do you currently follow?

Well after reading your rant the other day I have to say you do have some good images. The ones that stand out for me are 2 and 9.

I agree about comments about filters I would get some soon so you have them to hand ready for your next trip out.

I think the main issue with the first 4 is that the lighting is very flat. On a different day they would have been better.
I don't like anything about 5, the composition is terrible and if you are going to do light trails it needs to be darker.
No.6 is a better attempt at light trails but again the composition isn't great and it looks like it's been shot through a window?
No.7 and 8 are much better, easily the best from your set. The lighting and composition are much better. It's already been mentioned that the foreground is a little dark. I'm not sure if this could be recovered with a bit more PP if you shot in RAW?
No.9 has got potential but also looks a bit flat, plus there is a lot going on with all the branches. With some harsher lighting the detail of these might have been picked out better.

But the main thing is don't get down. I've found that to get a good image, particularly with landscapes, you need good lighting. There is a good reason landscape photographers get up early and take images during the first hour of the day. If it's grey and flat you will struggle.

Thanks for all feedback
obviously I couldn't do anything about the flat lighting I had at the time I was on location but fully agree on a different day at a different time these pics would have came out completely different.
number 5 wasn't actually intended for trails it was 5 images stacked to try and high light the colours in the clouds and trees (hdr effect but that was my first ever attempt)
number 6 was actually shot through the window as that window in the b&b didn't open but also so was 5. yes not great but I like number 6 taking that In to consideration.
number 7 and 8 im really happy with and the foreground has already been lifted with PP..... you should have seen how dark and flat those images were originally
number 9 I don't really like as I agree there's a lot going on. I took load of pictures of that area and that was the best one.

thanks for your feedback I enjoyed taking the pics but still loads of room for improvement! its hard not to feel like you've been slapped when all the images Im your head were perfect then you review what you have but leaving them for a day or so has definitely helped/

To be honest you've not done bad, some of them actually show fair bit of promise, a lot of the issue is the light which in some of them really isn't nice, but some of them I think could really be brought to life with some decent processing and adjustments...part of the issue is take the second if you'd been there a couple of weeks earlier when there were probably a lot more leaves still on the trees it would really have helped as it is its looking g a little bit barren, but a crop to loose some off the top, and some off the right of frame and give the colour and levels a little bit of a tweak and I still think that it could be brought to life

Who? Photography do you admire when it comes to landscapes? I.e. who do you currently follow?

Thanks again like I say I am happier with what ive got after a couple of days and some PP even though im no pro at it. I don't reall follow any one I just look through this forum and admire the landscape work people on here produce.

Thanks for all feedback
thanks for your feedback I enjoyed taking the pics but still loads of room for improvement! its hard not to feel like you've been slapped when all the images Im your head were perfect then you review what you have but leaving them for a day or so has definitely helped/

No problem, I still go through the same thing now but the way I look at it is that even if the image didn't work it doesn't matter - provided you understand why and learn from it. If you get to re-fist the same location again in the future you will know what to do to make thinking better.

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

by b12vjn86, on Flickr

All in all its a good set Ben, lots of imagination and some lovely views, however Im not sure filters are your answer,they are an add on to your kit but not the answer to problems. It just a matter of getting the settings right on your camera? do yo shoot RAW or jpeg? and perhaps try bracketing by taking a shot either side of your or the cameras chosen setting. Also I feel the feel No 5 would be improved if you removed the cable with a bit of PP work, in fact the set as is could be improved with a little PP work.

Geoff

Back