Few recent old and new planes!!

Name
Glen
Edit My Images
No
Had an unscheduled flypast by the Lancaster at home the other day but also ventured out to Mildenhall and Lakenheath last week.

Taken on a Canon R3 with EF 300 f2.8 IS L MKII some with the 1.4x and 2x MKIII tc's

Sold my 500 f4 MKII but may have to save up and trade up to the 400 f2.8 next year as struggled with reach some times.

1/
i-7vQW8Tx-XL.jpg

2/
i-cw6p2kh-XL.jpg

3/
i-ZNv6W8J-XL.jpg

4/
i-QcLvB6K-XL.jpg

5/
i-gN9qLKP-XL.jpg

6/
i-pv2m6n5-XL.jpg

7/
i-D3hcvPV-XL.jpg

8/
i-ZHk9sX9-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely set ;)

The fist photo looks like your up in the air with it , very hard to get that type of photo from the ground . Always a bit harder I guess when you drop down in focal lengths , I have the same lens and converters you have , but have craved a 500mm f4 so many times . I suppose you should consider the weight a little , not sure what the differences are but guessing that 400 is going to weigh a bit . Is there a good day to visit Lakenheath ? I heard weekends are very quite so assuming week days are better , any in particular ?

Many thanks all for the kind words.

The fist photo looks like your up in the air with it , very hard to get that type of photo from the ground . Always a bit harder I guess when you drop down in focal lengths , I have the same lens and converters you have , but have craved a 500mm f4 so many times . I suppose you should consider the weight a little , not sure what the differences are but guessing that 400 is going to weigh a bit . Is there a good day to visit Lakenheath ? I heard weekends are very quite so assuming week days are better , any in particular ?

Had the original 400 f2.8 IS L which was like carrying an extra person round for the day.
The 500 F4 MKII wasn't that much more to carry than the 300 MKII but i preferred the 300 for my main photography subject of British Superbikes as have shot that trackside for 12 year and never needed more than the 300 with a 1.4x tc in good light on a 7D MKII.
Would love the new RF 400 f2.8 but would need to sell the house a kidney and leave the wife to do that.

Was lucky as there has been an operation on for three weeks at Lakenheath so have had evening/night flights upto 11.30.

Best day to go but can never be guaranteed is on a Friday as its the only day they request to do unrestricted climbs although they do seem to finish earlier sometimes.

Can never guarantee anything flying but i normally go Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm as im sure they dont fly weekends.

Back