Fieldcraft?

Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
No
In preperation for me being able to spend more than the odd hour or so child-free and trying to photograph wildlife/birds, i'm trying to learn more about fieldcraft and getting closer to the animals without freaking them out. As i mentioned in my previous thread, i only have a 70-300mm lens, so getting closer is my best bet for decent shots :)

So, basics for a beginner? Drab clothing? How do i break up my outline without looking like a complete nutjob to the dogwalkers/members of the general public that happen upon me? Or do i just have to accept that people are going to stop and question me every two minutes about why exactly i'm skulking about in the bushes with twigs on my head? :LOL:

Any help would be most appreciated. Cost is a concern, but i'm pretty crafty and good with a sewing machine, so diy is an option ;)

Thanks.

In preperation for me being able to spend more than the odd hour or so child-free and trying to photograph wildlife/birds, i'm trying to learn more about fieldcraft and getting closer to the animals without freaking them out. As i mentioned in my previous thread, i only have a 70-300mm lens, so getting closer is my best bet for decent shots :)

So, basics for a beginner? Drab clothing? How do i break up my outline without looking like a complete nutjob to the dogwalkers/members of the general public that happen upon me? Or do i just have to accept that people are going to stop and question me every two minutes about why exactly i'm skulking about in the bushes with twigs on my head? :LOL:

Any help would be most appreciated. Cost is a concern, but i'm pretty crafty and good with a sewing machine, so diy is an option ;)

Thanks.

Might sound daft but you could buy some one way pigeon shooting netting/mesh - usually about 4m by 2m - sew up two front edges leaving room to poke your lens through and drape it over you and the camera [or camera on a tripod if you borrow a bigger lens at some point]. If you sit still enough birds will actually fly to within a foot of you using that with drab clothing underneath :) Just make sure you use it the right way round i.e. so that you can see out from the inside...

or get a hide?

For sneaking up on your subject move slowly and low (keep your head below the hedgeline if there is one).

If your finding an area and waiting take gramps advice.

Drab clothing and a cap with a peak or brim to shadow your face will help.

As a realitve new comer my self, and using a 70-300, I can offer the following advice

I've been just as successful in drab clothes (brown trousers black jumper, no hat or hood either) as I have in a full camo getup. Added advantage is people don't look at you odd, though that camo was worth the £11 I paid when it was cold as it was an additional layer and pretty wind proof. Also I didn't care when it got muddy. I also put some Nixwax on mine to help with the water resistance, not water proof but good enough for a bit of rain.

The trick seems to be move slowly and stop when they look towards you. Even when you muck up and step on a branch that breaks or some dry leaves I've found the deer I am stalking will look first to see what the sound was. If you stop quickly they will often just ignore you.

I also seem to think they usually know full well you're there and once you're in place and the deer has settled back down you can move a lot more without upsetting them.

I would also say the male deer are more jumpy than the females. The male will either spot you and take off or often just start posturing and snorting. Again stop, wait and they soon calm down.

Using the slowly and stop movements above I can get to within 30m fairly regularly with my local deer, closer if I start crawling, but I stopped 15-20m as I didn't want to get too close.

Thanks everyone :) I went out today on my usual route and managed to blend in enough ,wearing dark clothes and sitting quietly, for alot of small birds to come back to the tree next to me and go about their business :) The light was pants though, so still no decent shots :shake: But at least they accepted me and didn't just scarper :LOL: The kingfisher was nowhere to be seen though, so still to test whether he will be as accepting! I suspect i may need to construct myself a little hide-type poncho contraption (i have an image in my head, just need fabric and time to sew :LOL:) to get close enough to him. But i'm going to try and plant a perch closer to where i intend to be and see if he will use it ;)

I have camo gear in the loft from when i was an army cadet (left when i was 18 and haven't grown much since :LOL:). I may dig it out and see if it makes a difference. I suspect a 5ft 2in woman wearing full camo will draw a few more odd looks than your average bloke though :D

I dont use much other than muted clothing that is quite and rustle free, I know my subjectsdue to being a birder long before i picked up a camera. Getting to know your subjects habits, pays dividends.

Each species have different tolerances of approach, some will come to accept closer encounters given time. Good time of year as during the breeding season birds display to find a mate, also feeding sites are good, tidal beaches for waders etc.

And as mentioned hides both personal and at reserves can be useful. Find a patch that you can go to off the beaten track, observe whats around, and with a bit of knowledge you will start to accrue pleasing images.

Thanks :) All helpful info. I've been out by myself almost every morning this last week and i've started to learn what i can see where. Theres a certain tree where a jay likes to sit, and i've learnt where the green woodpeckers are (although my lens is not quite long enough for them sadly). I'm finding it very peaceful and theraputic, so even though i've not come home with many useable shots yet, i'm not feeling like i'm wasting my time :)

As it has been mentioned, for most things you don't need the full gillie suit setup!

I just wear camo trousers, purely because they happen to be my outdoor trousers, and green fleece etc.
Just stick to dull natural colours. No need for twigs etc!

Again already been said, but move when animals are occupied and freeze when they are watching you. Don't rush when stalking, keep checking how close you are and watch the terrain around you. Nothing worse than slipping into a bog and making a splash or kneeling on a dry branch.

Good luck!

I think it is also a good idea to approach your subject from down wind. Many animals have a keener sense of smell than they do vision. Also approaching from downwind can help reduce the chance of them hearing your approach.

Also, on a bright day, you can get longer reach with a 300m lens by using a tele converter, probably more use for birds.

Back