Fieldfare

Edit My Images
Yes
These red things are all mine

222_007.jpg

For the third time, I have not seen any Waxwing today

222_024.jpg

The first one's a cracking shot Martyn, not a lot wrong with the second either, very well taken (y)

These are both beautiful -lovely colours and really sharp.

Do you mind me asking what lens you have used? I am considering doing a bit of gentle birding sometime but wonder how much dosh I need to save...

love the first shot (y) great enviroment.
Tried so hard to get decent shots of Fieldfares and Redwings,but they dont stay put for more than a few seconds....:shrug: (or at least not when I'm around....)
Clive.

Thanks for the comments, especially hard to get close to when the path is covered in frozen snow, and every footstep is a very loud crunch

Do you mind me asking what lens you have used? I am considering doing a bit of gentle birding sometime but wonder how much dosh I need to save...

I was using a Nikkor 500mm f4 AF-S II, plus I had the 1.4TC fitted.

If that is a bit more than your budget, the Nikkor 300mm f4 AF-S is a superb lens, which will take the 1.4TC giving you a 420mm f5.6, or the 1.7TC giving you a 510mm f6.7 (If you look in my gallery there are some shots using the 300mm f4 and 1.4 & 1.7TC )

2 Nice shots Martyn, well done. (y)

Regards: Gordon

Two really good shots Martyn (y) #1 has the best surrounding, but obviously with #2 being clearer and having no foreground blurr, that shot draws me in more;)

Number 1 for me really sums up the last few days weather, both are great images.

I will add my (y) to the list. The setting of No.1 is just superb.

Thanks again for the comments, ... (I prefer the colours in the first, especially the powder blue sky)

love the 1st one, good work - waiting for these to arrive here soon hopefully!

I was using a Nikkor 500mm f4 AF-S II, plus I had the 1.4TC fitted.

If that is a bit more than your budget, the Nikkor 300mm f4 AF-S is a superb lens, which will take the 1.4TC giving you a 420mm f5.6, or the 1.7TC giving you a 510mm f6.7 (If you look in my gallery there are some shots using the 300mm f4 and 1.4 & 1.7TC )

Thanks Martyn - I will have to think seriously about this.

Both great shots, though the blurry bits in the first are a little distracting. That said, it doesn't spoil the image.

hi martyn
like them both but number one has the edge proper seasonal would look nice on a greetings card
regards ian

Very nice. There's been a couple of them chattering away in next doors garden for a few weeks but I've been unable to get close enough for a decent shot. I tried again today and was amazed when about fifty of them (plus Redwings I think) took off and 'swarmed' me. They seem to be laying claim to the apples on the trees.

Last edited:
Very nice. There's been a couple of them chattering away in next doors garden for a few weeks but I've been unable to get close enough for a decent shot. I tried again today and was amazed when about fifty of them (plus Redwings I think) took off and 'swarmed' me. They seem to be laying claim to the apples on the trees.

You could try putting some apples out for them, pierce a hole through the apple and put it on a thin stem.

The problem is if you spook one the lot go up, best is to spot where they are feeding, get into position, stand still and wait for them to return

You could try putting some apples out for them, pierce a hole through the apple and put it on a thin stem.

The problem is if you spook one the lot go up, best is to spot where they are feeding, get into position, stand still and wait for them to return

The neighbour has about 200 apples hanging on the tees and they're a long way from my wall so as well as the distance I think the problem is tempting them away from their place of choice.

Might have to ask nicely and go over the wall (y)

Back