Fighting For Fame

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
No
These were taken in George Square, Glasgow over last two weeks.
The bands were performing to win a place on the Scottish Hogmanay live TV show alongside Paolo Nutini.

CC / Feedback welcome.

fiddleGirlweb.jpg

Gman1web.jpg

Gman2.jpg

Kboard2Web.jpg

GtarWeb.jpg

Very nice (other than the first which I dont like sorry), the last needs loads more contrast.

Gary.

Very nice (other than the first which I dont like sorry), the last needs loads more contrast.

Gary.

(Just figured out how the quotes thing works - aren't I clever / dumb)

Cheers Gary
I seem to have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other with the first and last shots.
I liked the first, but had lots of noise, so this was my attempt at rescuing the shot.
I think you're right about the last too - shouldn't take much to fix (where have I heard that before !).

I don't think noise is a huge issue in certain types of photography, gig photos, being one of those.

Lets see it :D

Ok Gary here is orig.
I wasn't noise prob - It was a bit too soft for my liking.
When I converted it I cloned out a little of the cheek that I didn't like.

Thoughts ?

Violin.jpg

Ok Gary here is orig.
I wasn't noise prob - It was a bit too soft for my liking.
When I converted it I cloned out a little of the cheek that I didn't like.

Thoughts ?

Violin.jpg

Loose the Mic top right, you got a keeper. Much better edit.

Thought about that crop, although I'm still not happy with the focus issue. I do like the composition in the shot and think the colours work, just sorry i didn't get the focus right. Don't agree with you about keeper - you're being too kind Gary. No more porkies - use the boot !
I can handle it - I hope.

I much prefer the B/W - so here's crop.

fiddleGirlweb2.jpg

Hi Jay
You're on the wrong track.
The band has a nice wee catchy name -

"We Hung Your Leader".
There were ten bands in all. They played five songs each and there is an online poll to pick winner for Big TV show.
The bands were all unsigned, so pretty unlikely you'd know any.
Here's a link to all the bands (and voting) if interested.
Cheers.

I have gotta say I like number 1 in colour,what was the issue with the focus was it dof cant access the exif file.

I have gotta say I like number 1 in colour,what was the issue with the focus was it dof cant access the exif file.
Just thought the focus was more on black belt and not quite there.
As for exif info seems to drop away when I play in PS is the some check box I should tick to leave it in ?

I like them :) what lens were you using?

Hi Matt
I was using the Nikon 70-200, 2.8 for these. The fastest I've got. Fairly Ok for getting in close, but not much use for shots of all the band.

I also used the Nikon macro 2.8 at one shoot but found it didn't seem to be as fast and found number of reasonable shots dropped a good bit.

I was asked for some pix for the website which I sent in and thought the people involved couldn't have liked the, however I've just got mail saying they intend to use some and will email me a link later - holding my breath in anticipation.
Also took a few shots with my Nikon fisheye (2.8 too), but you've really got to stick it real, real close ( I mean up people's noses) to get impact.
Oh, nothing to do with this, but that's exactly what I did today - stuck the fishey up a very accommodating farrier and some very large horses - very happy with results.

For a strange reason the first is super it has an early Placebo content to it

Some photos of the band placebo where black and white and extremely contrasty to emphasise the black hair, white skin, black make up look.

Sorry if the comment upset you it was meant to be a compliment

No prob Dangermouse. I was just not sure what you meant.
Even if you thought they were c**p I'd not lose any sleep, so rest easy.

Thanks for clearing things up - it is satisfying to have a positive response, and feel free to speak your mind.

I actually like No 1 :) Without the mike though of course! :D
No 3 looks cold :shivers:

And I agree with EG - Needs a whacking great boost of contrast for the latter, will really make the picture something more :)

Thanks for comments.
You're right, the shots were taken in brass monkey weather. At first I thought the condensation on the shots looked good, but there was so much it began to get difficult to see all the face without a vapour cloud obscuring things.

I may bend and add some contrast as seem to be a consensus there.
May work on it tomorrow and post effort

No prob Dangermouse. I was just not sure what you meant.
Even if you thought they were c**p I'd not lose any sleep, so rest easy.

Thanks for clearing things up - it is satisfying to have a positive response, and feel free to speak your mind.

Ok I will speak my mind

Number one is a superb shot that would benefit being on a cd cover and the placebo content is just a thought that ran through my head as soon as I saw it and thougt wow:clap: but as for the mike its either got to be removed or as i like to see very close for the impact

That's high praise there Dangermouse. Thank you very much.
Ok, the Mike goes and here id the new contrast shot.
Having trouble with this as something seems to make sent shot lighter in transit over the ether, so on my PS version this looks much darker than what is on TP, if that makes sense.
Anyway...

Contrast-Shotweb2.jpg

Apologies for digging this up again, but King Tuts - a band venue / pub in Glasgow have used some of my gig shots on their site and Flikr site.
When the winner of the comp was announced they mailed me to let me know they wanted to use my shots.

OK, I know I'm a pain in the ass, but here is the link anyway

http://www.kingtuts.co.uk/roadtohogmanay/

Missed these first time round, big mistake. Excellent series and well done on the King Tut thing.
Just sitting here listening to a bit of John Martyn thinking how much I need to get to a gig and take some shots. So thanks for the inspiration as well.

Andy

Hi Andysnap
John Martyn - well.
That guy is from my local area (Shawlands, Glasgow).
When he's in town pops into the Corona bar for a pint.
Some of my friends were at school with him and had drink with him a couple of years back.
Oh, thanks for comments about pix.
Was a wee bit excited about the Tuts as never had request to use pix, but now reality has set in next time I shoot a gig I'd be looking to catch something different.
Lots of the gig shots look pretty much like the next - so looking to reach the next level.
I think having the right lens and camera make getting a killer shot that much easier.

No 5 is by far my favourite, I'd say its worth playing around with and trying to get a really nice contrasty BW image as although the shot is superb it looks a bit grayscale for my liking. I wish I could ofer a technique but I'm still trying to refine my own BW conversions and I'm along way off achieving what I want!

Back