File Too Large for Printify?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to produce a 30" x 24" canvas print in Printify. But I have to resample my photograph to 4500px x 5700px and 300dpi. But that makes the image about 37MB too large for uploading to Printify? Their maximum is 50MB. The original photograph is only large enough for a 16" x 12" canvas as it stands. Any advice please?

Speak to them. Try not to be confused. Hopefully they will ask for a WeTransfer link or something to get the big file over.

[boring bit]
Anyone asking for a pixel dimension and then specifying dpi isn't really understanding what they're asking and is just confusing the customer (in my experience!). Dots per inch (dpi) is a printhead thing (how many dots of ink can the printer put down per physical inch of paper) which gets freely confused with ppi which is pixels per inch and relates to things typically electronic in nature (sensors and screens).

A 30"x24" canvas at 300ppi would require a file 9000 (30x300) x 7200 (24x300). Asking for a file that's 5700x4500 will give you a print that's 19" (5700/300) x 15" (4500/300) at 300ppi.

However I would argue that on canvas, your perceived sharpness at "nose up close" distance will be bad anyway. A 30" canvas is probably best viewed from a couple of feet away, and at that distance the (20-20 vision) eye can't resolve better than about 150ppi. It depends on how textured the canvas is I guess...

In all likelihood, sending them a 4500 (30"x150ppi) x 3600 (24"x150ppi) file will be fine which might get you under the 50Mb limit.
[/boring bit]

Thanks for that. I'm getting less confused....

Just a thought, you mention RTP. Alongside the 'Upload from your device' option is one for using Dropbox. Do you think that allows a larger file to be uploaded?

I would say almost certainly Dropbox will allow a larger file. Only one way to find out though :)

Surely a 37Mb image file will be about 2 to 3 Mb when saved as a JPEG. I rarely us commercial printers but those I have used wanted JPEG files.

Printify ask for PNG or JPEG. Does JPEG compress images? I didn't know that, is there a loss of quality?

Does JPEG compress images? I didn't know that, is there a loss of quality?

Yes JPEGs are compressed files, and there is a 'loss' of quality (data) as a result; the thing is, you'll never notice, so just go with an 80-90% saving (in Lightroom), or around a 10 is fine from Photoshop, and you'll easily have a high enough quality but small enough file

Dave

Ok thanks. How many years have I been using JPEGS?

So for Printify which of these save options will be the best one:

Baseline (Standard)
Baseline (Optimized)
Progressive

Not sure what the difference is between the options.

Just had a quick play with a big TIFF of a panorama. The TIFF is 25900 x 3868 pixels and is 241MB.
Saving as assorted JPEG compressions in Photoshop gives file sizes as below.

Quality. File size (MB)
12 69.4
11 29.3
10 17.4
9 11.8
8 8.9
7 6.7
6 6.4
5 4.9

As I was comparing the reported file sizes, I had the most detailed part of the image visible at 100% to see if the compression was having a significant impact on the image's quality - I was very surprised to see that even at Quality level 5, there was only a tiny difference between it and the maximum visible and I'm not sure it would be visible on a print, even at arm's length.

Printify have just messaged me back. 50MB is definitely the limit for an upload. But they said that it's possible to upload the image in layers and put them back together when producing the print.

Back