Film advance, yes or no?

Edit My Images
Yes
Probably for MF shooters mainly, but I suppose it applies to manual 35mm cameras too. My volume of MF shots is fairly low and it can be days, even weeks, between subsequent shots on the same loaded roll of 120. So I was wondering whether it is best practice to use the film advance lever and store the camera in a ‘cocked’ state ready for the next shot or to leave the exposed shot in position and leave the camera un-cocked?

Personally I prefer the latter but I’d be interested in your thoughts.

I cant comment about 120 as ive never used it.As for 35mm i dont think it really matters. my dynax's both wind film on automatically, my vivitar is manual as is my 25yearold+ chinon. the latter ive left both wound on and not so as to speak you just have to remember to put the shutter lock on if you do other wise you get some strange pictures back . This is only my opinion it would be nice to hear others.:):):)

Depends on the camera. Electronic shutters don't mind being left "cocked" as it were, because they are motor driven. Mechanical shutters though are better left for any period of time uncocked, because the springs are then left in a relaxed state rather than under tension.
From a film point of view, if the light seals are good then it doesn't matter, light tight is light tight.

With my mechanical shutter cameras (35mm and MF focal plane SLR, and leaf shutter TLR and rangefinder) I advance straight after a shot if I'm likely to be taking a sequence and finish up with a throwaway shot if necessary so the camera can be stored in a "relaxed" state.

With my mechanical shutter cameras (35mm and MF focal plane SLR, and leaf shutter TLR and rangefinder) I advance straight after a shot if I'm likely to be taking a sequence and finish up with a throwaway shot if necessary so the camera can be stored in a "relaxed" state.

same for me ,,id rather lose a frame than leave it cocked ,,( nikon fm2 and fm3 )

Back