Film Advice

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
As I'm starting to mess more with 35mm (the first time in a long time), I've reached the point where I want to do some black and white, having already picked up a 5 pack of fuji 200 ASA colour film to test the cameras out with.

Just wondered if I could get some suggestions in which black and white film to go for - my first thought is generally Illford - but I'm not at all familar with their range.

Certainly don't mind a bit of grain - so I was looking for maybe something around 400ASA.

And of course the best place to pick some up for the best price

fuji pro400h ?

7dayshop.com is ideal for film purchases, the best prices ! :) and if I remember correctly - fast delivery.

Ilford + 400ASA + b/w =

- HP5 Plus (traditional silver process)

- Delta 400 ('modern' t-grain silver process)

- XP2 Super 400 (C41 process same as regular colour negative film, so you should be able to get it done in any high street processing shop)

I've only shot with HP5, mostly in the 1980s before the Plus version came out. It's quite contrasty and has a fair bit of exposure latitude.

I'm led to believe that Delta 400 has finer grain, less contrast and can be a bit picky with getting exposure and development right.

XP2, by virtue of it being dye based, is also less grainy than HP5. I've got my first roll that I'm about to use - cowaski seems to get some nice results with it on the 'show us your film shots' thread.

Last edited:
Back