Film scanners

The gadget shop has a couple in, one's only £30.

Thing is though, for the hassle, I may as well just get them scanned when I take them to get processed and then develop them from digital, cause I can't do the darkroom stuffs. It's only £1 or something and it's not as if I'm going to shoot mostly film.

Am I trying to convince myself that I need a new toy that I really don't need??

Cheap film scanners are basically just components (mainly the sensor) from compact digital cameras which have tiny sensors and so explain why their image quality is comparatively bad compared with a 'proper' film scanner.

Here is a really useful website all about film scanners,...(include tests)!
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/index.html
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/NikonCoolscan5ED.html

I had had a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 Firewire.
I still have a Nikon Coolscan ED V (Nikon Software) and Epson V700 using Silverfast SE.

If you just want digitalize your old negatives I recommend you buying a good second hand Nikon Coolscan and after you have finished, sell them again. Thats the cheapest way to get the best quality. But it takes a long time.
I thought I can sell my Nikon Coolscan after half year again. However I am still not finished after 1 year... :(

I do say that it is not worth buying a cheap film scanner. Today's DSLRs are just better and I just sold my Mamiya 7 last month because for me it is just too time consuming using films.

Cheap film scanners are basically just components (mainly the sensor) from compact digital cameras which have tiny sensors and so explain why their image quality is comparatively bad compared with a 'proper' film scanner.

Actually, a number of the real cheap ones are actually based on webcam technology - theres a light panel at one end of the box, under the slot for the negatives/slides, then the webcam lens is mounted squarely over the top of that, with a fixed focus lens. The dead giveaway is the driver software often refers to 'em as webcams :LOL:

i got a film and slide canner at a club auction , konica minolta.
it really very good. i also bought a cheep one and there is no control over the exposer.

i would not recommend the cheep ones , you will end up with more work correction the scans

Cheer Steve

What about one of those attachments for a DSLR where you essentially take a picture of a negative? Ever tried one of those? Seems a little bit fiddly to me...

They can actually be a very quick and easy way to digitise slides. One thing to watch out for is that most of the second hand ones were designed for full-frame 35mm film cameras, and therefore if you strap it to a crop sensor digital camera, you'll get the centre of the slide, rather than the whole image.

Back