Beginner Film suggestions for Olympus Trip 35

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I've got an Olympus Trip 35 that me dad gave me way back in the 80s and I quite fancy giving it a go. As far as I can tell everything is working ok, so I just need some film to get started. As I expect to probably get more misses than hits initially, I don't want to stick a roll of expensive film in there, so can anyone suggest something suitable and where best to get it from please? I'll probably stick to shooting in good lighting conditions.

If I get some decent results, what would be a better choice (quality wise) for future endeavours? What would be a good choice for B&W - suitable for high-street processing?

Thanks.

Poundland Agfa Vista. Costs a pound a roll. I would check the light seals before trying a film - if they haven't been replaced it is very likely they will have deteriorated: look for sticky goo in the groove the back fits into.

Agfa Vista 200 from your local Poundland.
It's 1 pound, ideal for trying out a camera.

Some have them. some don't.
if you have one near you, ring to check if in stock.

Edit: website says out of stock, but to check your local store.

Last edited:
For a cheaper b and w try some fomapan 100 or 200, lots of sellers on ebay. I haven't tried it but the 400 is supposed to be fairly horrible, the 100 / 200 is very nice though.

Most high streets do not do b and w development but there are plenty of places to send it off to, have look in the stickies at the top of this section, theres a list in there somewhere.

Andy

And remember that Boots do a range of film on a permanent BOGOHP offer that works out a bit over £5 per 36-shot film (a bit cheaper for 24-shot, which would be ideal for a test film). B&W includes XP2 Plus which would be better than Fomapan in terms of getting it developed (it's processed as if a colour film, unlike Fomapan which is "proper" black and white and needs either developing at hoe, ormore expensive lab processing).

Another vote here for the Poundland special :) Nice cheap film that you can stick in and test the camera with to make sure it works, then after you know there are no leaks etc, go for something better like XP2 if you're a B&W fan

Why do you think the meter is inactive. From what I can remember of mine (no longer have it) there is no meter display, the meter only controls the aperture as the shutter fires which might not be apparent.

Why do you think the meter is inactive. From what I can remember of mine (no longer have it) there is no meter display, the meter only controls the aperture as the shutter fires which might not be apparent.

There's a little red flag that pops up in the viewfinder if there's not enough light, and the shutter won't fire if this happens. On mine the flag doesn't pop up and I can fire the shutter even if I leave the lens cap on.

Put the olympus on A point the lens out the window or any good light sauce and it should fire, point the camera to a dark area of the room or floor and if not enough light the red flag should pop up in the viewfinder

Put the olympus on A point the lens out the window or any good light sauce and it should fire, point the camera to a dark area of the room or floor and if not enough light the red flag should pop up in the viewfinder

Doesn't work, sadly. The shutter fires no matter how little light there is.

I suppose I could use the sunny sixteen rule if I use it in bright conditions, but I don't know if that'll work given that I'm not sure if it'll be firing at 1/40 or 1/200 sec without the metering.

I think that if you set the aperture manually, the shutter will default to 1/40 as that is intended for flash use.

Now that I think about it, if you have the aperture set to anything but 'A', the camera will fire regardless of light conditions. The red flag you mentioned only works in 'A'.

Last edited:
Personally if it's one that you were given by your dad thirty odd years ago I wouldn't mess about with it. Keep that one how was given to you, and buy a new one to use. They go on ebay for £20-25. That way you get one that definitely works, without the risk of ruining something with sentimental value to you.

Back