Film - Washi F

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I think these are probably more for my own reference than anything. Washi F is medical X-ray film. Washi A is now drying....

IT'S SO FLUFFY
I really like this even though I think I over-exposed by a good stop. Box speed is 100 but I'm going to try bracketing at 100, 200 & 400 next time as these look very "bright". 9 minutes in Rodinal 1+25 which "felt" like a bit of a long time, but I'm not going to argue with MDC and the technical sheets.

Wherever you have light, it just diffuses like a mad thing and whilst it might look like there's no detail in the highlights, the computer tells me there is.
Jny6geS.jpg

I think the thing to note here is that whilst it looks over-exposed, the shadows are still nice & dark. These aren't utter black shadows, these are just normal shadows.
This image caught my eye because the sun was reflecting off the top part of the branch whilst the underside was in shadow. The diffusion off the sun-hit bits of branch is quite dramatic and any sense of shade under the branch is gone.
uGLvYy1.jpg

Inside the house, again you can see that blacks are still black (dev reel insert). The diffusion (to my eyes) works really well. The grain especially - in lower lighting conditions is gorgeous. I have struggled to like "grain" recently - especially at "mid" speed (I quite like the 3200 film grain on both Kodak & Ilford's films) but the grain on this film is very very nice indeed. I suspect it's because it has that diffusion softening the edges of it giving it a much more dreamy look.
ufCkS9l.jpg

I did want to see what it does to skin tones, but it's all about the light. I was in relative shade here (wide open on the Summicron) at 1/125 and you can see the background has gone where the sun was shining in the room. On someone less crusty it would be a very flattering effect, but you'd need to get them out of direct sunlight.
Gut9P0W.jpg

This last shot is of our "black" roses which are in fact very deep red. It was overcast when I took this, and it looks like where the light has been absorbed the tones are significantly darker. IRL, the rose isn't that much darker than the surrounding foliage, but this film has really popped it out.
P1UgwsY.jpg

I'm toying with doing one camera, one lens, one film next year, and want something interesting to get my creativity going. This film could well fit the bill. Lovely.

Last edited:
Replying to my own post to say that I'm not going to do a Washi A analysis.
Washi A is ISO 12 which might be great in California, but here in the UK it's too slow of a speed to use handheld. It has no qualities that I can see that set it apart from Delta 100, Pan F+, or Acros 100 if you're after fine grained slow speed film that you can use with reasonable apertures handheld. If I'm going to lug a tipod around, I'll lug medium format, and in those circumstances I'll generally use one of the three aforementioned films.

Washi A gets a thumbs down from me, which is still not an overall bad thing. I just don't think it brings anything new to the table apart from the impracticalities of ISO 12.

Just wanted to add my contact sheets (for my own posterity to be honest!). The last sheet is bracketed at 400 & 800. Next attempt will be at 400 as I think that's a nice middle ground.

Just to be clear, this is all developed in Rodinal at recommended times (9 min IIRC). I'm fairly certain every roll went through the M6 so that was the metering used. Stupidly my next roll has gone in my M3 which has a plop on meter.

Washi F @ 100
by Ian, on Flickr

Washi F @ 200
by Ian, on Flickr

Washi F @ 400/800
by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back