Filming frame rates - confusion.

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I have read and read and read and watched and watched and watched and searched and searched and searched.... all it has done is confuse me even more.

Can someone please just tell me what frame rate to set at 1080P for both shooting and playback. One thing I have understood is that whatever the editor spits it out at is what you should shoot it at. What I cannot understand is all this talk about electricity hz and frame rates and play backs...

I am in England. I want to shoot some videos, not Hollywood cinema films! I have tried 30fps, but been told that is bad because of what people watch it on is at something else (23.97 or something?) Others have said 30fps, others have said 25fps still more are sworn to 24fps..... they can't all be right. Which one is it? I want ONE that I can set and forget, on both the camera and the editor programme.

PLEADSE someone take me out of my confusion.

The standard output frame rate is 24 for movies (which is actually 23.97), 25 for PAL, 30 for NTSC; PAL vs NTSC relates to the electrical frequency (60hz NTSC, 50Hz PAL), but that is pretty irrelevant for digital/web use IMO. I would choose the one that allows the highest output quality from your camera; probably 25/PAL makes the most sense for you as it goes with the EU/PAL/50hz standards... but you can use whichever you want; it doesn't much matter.

The frame rate you record at then needs to match. Or you can use a creative frame rate... slower when you want it to speed up in the output, or faster when you want slow motion. Creative frame rates really should be at least 1/2 or 2x your base output.

And for natural blur of recorded motion the SS should be close to 2x (180*)... but unless you get quite a ways off it's not as obvious as recording at a mismatched frame rate is (higher SS's can look nervous/jittery). Because SS should be 2x it isn't really a variable and a variable ND can be quite handy.

So, I would suggest that your set/forget is 25FPS at 1/50SS. If you find you are getting to 1/200+ frequently (or a higher SS that doesn't look/feel right) then get a variable ND.

Last edited:
If you are new to video and you are shooting outdoors its doesn't really matter 24/25/30/50 or 60 fps will be fine. If you are shooting indoors under artificial light then you may get some banding if you don't shoot at a 50Hz derivative 25/50/100fps.

Things to consider though higher frame rates usually take up more storage but look smoother. Lower frame rates allow you to work with slower shutter speeds to give some smoothing motion blur and also work with less light.

I've found 23.98 fps at 1080 and 4K gives fine results on my X-T2 -- but when I experimented with 25 and 30, I really didn't see any significant difference (all experiments shot in daylight). I settled on 23.98 fps in the hope that it would keep files sizes in check, at least a little.

Its a creative choice, mostly, much like aperture or shutter speed is in photography.

I shoot nearly everything at 60fps, as I can then slow it down considerably if I want. However by doing that, normal motion doesn't look as natural, as the natural blurring our eyes perceive is not there. Not really a problem for me, as Im not shooting people, which is where it shows up most. The other downside is your shutter speed is best to be 2x the frame rate, so I need 1/120 which isn't always possible when in the dark woodland where I usually shoot. So in that case, I either raise the ISO really high, or shoot at a lower frame rate like 30 or 24. Then my shutter speeds only needs to be 1/60 or 1/48 respectively.

Thanks guys - because we run at 50hz in the UK, I shall go for 25, simply because it is the best divider.

Off to set the camera and drone to 25 @ 1080!

Hopefully that is one aspect of this, longer than I expected, learning curve with this moving picture stuff. I think my choice of shots and angles provides a bit of interest, although quite a few of what I put on my story book I physically can't get to do, so have to skip some.

I shall get something shot once it starts to warm up a bit. I have discovered that flying for a complete video is very, very difficult, but using the drone to capture different angles to add variety is where its true value lies. At least now I can have everything singing off the same hymn sheet. :)

It turns out I can't change it on the Garmin VIRB - it is set at 30fps for 1080, so I had better set everything else to that and just live with it. There is a slow-mo at 60fps and then at 480 size it does 120.... but it will be crap! I shall just stick with the 1080 at 30fps.

Sorry to trouble you. At least I now know that will work across the board and the editor will just have to chuck out what it doesn't want. UNLESS I can save the edited clips together at 30fps output?

It turns out I can't change it on the Garmin VIRB - it is set at 30fps for 1080, so I had better set everything else to that and just live with it.
Just set everything to 30fps, it won't matter much. If you get flickering lights recorded just set your SS to 1/50 (or 1/100).
UNLESS I can save the edited clips together at 30fps output?
Don't really want to output 25fps at 30fps... it will be a little high speed, but only enough to seem odd/wrong.

safe_video_shutter_speeds.jpg.optimal.jpg

Thank you everyone... hopefully I can get some clips soon.

Back