Filter abuse

Edit My Images
No
I've got a UV filter I hardly ever use so I was thinking of playing around with it. I was gonna try the old Vaseline-smearing-soft-focus thing and also try scratching it all over and seeing what it looked like. I realise that might seem silly but given my preference for 'urban' stuff I thought it might be worth trying.

Just wondering if anyone else has already tried either of those and whether there was any advice floating around. Also, if you've got any other ideas for creative destruction of a filter, let me have 'em.

Just make sure you have the filter attached when you start scrubbing with the steel wool, or smearing your vaseline:eek:

;)

Warspite said:
Just make sure you have the filter attached when you start scrubbing with the steel wool, or smearing your vaseline:eek:

;)

Oooh doesn't bare thinking about does it :nuts: We keep our UV filter on permanently on our Nikon F80 (film) SLR to protect the lens but I think it does cut out some of the UV rubbish..... or am I thinking about the polariser? :thinking: see my hubby remembers this stuff better than me.....

Just have a really good think about how you want the scratching to look before you start as you'll only really get one chance with that filter. ;)

For example you might go for a stright line pattern and then decide that a circular one would be better. Or start with a circular pattern from the center and then want one with the centre of the swirl offset.

I'd be interested to see what results you get from this as you're going to need a very small aperture to get any definition at all from this and given your expertise with low light and handheld stuff might feel a bit unnatural.

Yeah, I thought about that. Might need a tripod. I'm pretty sure I want horizontal straight lines for the scratches. I'll start with just a few and build them up gradually to see what I like.

It's gonna be a bit of an experiment really.

woops, I'm a jack-ass, I read the thread wrong, I thought you wanted info on what the UV filter was for, not that you wanted to scratch it to be creative. :bonk:

Why not experiment with some clear plastic before you ruin the filter?

Something like one of those A4 binder clear cover sheets. Just hold it in front of the camera lens.

If you get an effect you really like *then* do it to the filter....or just cut the plastic and stick it to the filter.

Scratched glass and scratched plastic look different, though. And it really is sitting around doing nothing. Plus it was only £12. That's a round of drinks in the pub, to be honest.

from Lee Frosts Filter book...

-hair spray
-valasline
- a womans stocking (or male if you go for the whole gender/clothes swappage..)
- cling film

should all give varying soft focus effects

Warspite said:

;)

If he comes anywhere near my filters with steel wool he'll be needing the vaseline :naughty:

You can do all that in CS2 nowadays - I haven't used a filter since going digital, apart from all the UV ones on all of my lenses, that is... Never go anywhere without at least two spares in each size (72mm and 77mm).

I know you can remove dust and scratches in Photoshop but I've not seen anything to add them in. And to be honest, I don't really like just using a Photoshop filter someone else has designed and clicking 'yes' and 'lots/medium/light' type boxes to get the effect. I'd rather put some effort in and do it myself.

I was thinking more along the lines of doing what you suggested with the filter, but then making a custom PS 'filter' yourself by photographing a plain white and plain black surface. Then you wouldn't have to have the 'damaged' filter on the camera as you shoot and could apply the PS action as a new layer to suitable images as you went along.

Very clever. Only downside I presume would be the defraction of light from scratches etc on glass filter that could not be replicated ? (PS> Don't start all that degree nonsense to diss me if I got the terms wrong ;) )

Back