Filter Budget of £400

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
No
Have got a budget of £400 to spend on filters... dont have any 100x100 filters as of yet, will be using Lee foundation adaptor.

Shoot in Scotland,, so will be covering sea, mountains ,rivers ,fort bridges , suppose about everything really.

im from the belief that i only want to pay once and not twice cuz of going down the route of cheap ,,,

Looking at Lee, Hitech and firecrest , advice on how to spend my budget on filters is much apreciated. Just dont know what i need 1st

I'm guessing that is who I think it is?!!

I'd get

Lee Foundation kit - £50
Adaptor rings - get from ebay, there is a chinese company who do compatibles for about £10, I've got some for some of my lenses, and they're just as good as Lee originals, get wide angles if poss.
Two stop hard edge - £74
Three stop hard edge - £74
Lee landscape polariser - £174

That will give you a system which should suit most occasions, IIRC you're on a crop sensor camera (If it is who I think it is!) so the hard edge will be more suitable, not only that but the 100mm are suitably big that you can invert them and use them as ND filters if needed, you can get to 5 stops there, or 6.5 or so with the polariser, so plenty of scope for long exposures if you want.

ETA I've used Dale in Leeds for pricing, they're good lads and usually have Lee stocks.

Last edited:
Nearly agree with Mark, I would definitely get the 2 stop hard edged, but I would go with the 3 stop soft edged. These 2 offer good filtering for straight horizons and mountains. Having 2 hard edged grads may not be that ideal. However if you can get a 0.6hard, 0.9hard & 0.9soft you'd be set up perfectly.

Morco are usually quite good.
http://www.morco.uk.com/filters.html

Last edited:
Back