Filter colour tint

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone happen to have an example of a colour cast caused by ND/ND grad filters?

I am looking at a basic 100mm filter set (holder, ring and at least a 2st grad), and basically the Hitech starter kit inc ring is about £90-100 less than the Lee one looking at prices on Teamwork. I am reasonably picky at times, but I also know these won't see weekly use (that's probably the under statement of the century).

If I could see the cast people talk about I think it will help me make my mind up on pursuing this idea. If it means Lee then it probably won't happen, or possibly a slow kit build of a a bit every month or so to dull me to the cost.

Depends on the filter really. My Cokin was green, which wasn't all that noticeable. Others are really bad magenta, Hitechs especially, I really wouldn't bother with them as they look terrible. I have some Lee filters which I suspect to be fake that give a slight yellow colour cast, similar to having an 81B filter attached which is not necessarily a bad thing as I like warm tones.

I have some Hitech filters, they are good by themselves with no colour caste that I can notice, however I found when I stack my 0.6 grad ND and my 1.2 full ND there was a magenta caste.

Found an image to show what I mean:

IMG_3554.jpg

It can be fixed in something like Lightroom with a graduated green colour filter, this was a quick 1 minute job I've just done:

IMG_3554-2.jpg

Excuse the poor image itself, I was basically sat in wind and low cloud.

Overall I've been pleased with the filters, I have a 1.2 Grad, a 0.9 soft ND grad and a 0.6 hard ND grad, mine are a few years old now so maybe they've updated the production processes.

Hitech 2 or 3 stop soft ND by itself, not pleasant...

I have some Hitech filters, they are good by themselves with no colour caste that I can notice, however I found when I stack my 0.6 grad ND and my 1.2 full ND there was a magenta caste.

Found an image to show what I mean:

It can be fixed in something like Lightroom with a graduated green colour filter, this was a quick 1 minute job I've just done:

Excuse the poor image itself, I was basically sat in wind and low cloud.

Overall I've been pleased with the filters, I have a 1.2 Grad, a 0.9 soft ND grad and a 0.6 hard ND grad, mine are a few years old now so maybe they've updated the production processes.

That's the sort of thing I've been looking for. I can see new how this is a problem, but it does seem pretty fixable. I would assume the effect is lower for lower strengths.

I may ask if they have worked to improve colour casts in recent times. I find companies often get tainted for prior, and now fixed, issues thanks to keyboard warriors.

Other than the vignette at the edge I'm not sure what's wrong with that? May be because I'm on my phone however.

Other than the vignette at the edge I'm not sure what's wrong with that? May be because I'm on my phone however.

The sky is purple, could probably be corrected but i would much rather have filters that don't need correction on half of the frame.

Back