Filters and Holders.

Edit My Images
Yes
After some advice.

I am going to be doing a little Landscape photography in the next few weeks. My aim is to be able to do some slow shutter speeds on waterfalls or fast flowing rivers in Wales which will require me getting some Filters.

Please can you advise what sort of setup is best bang for the money and if possible, where to get this from.

Best Regards

Mikey

i use screw on filters as i find that i dont swap them over often, though some will swear by Cokin filters, you slide in the glass of your choice, the grad filter effect can be varied by sliding it in different amounts. I have both systems, but rarely use the cokin, but then i dont often do landscapes

You're looking for Neutral Density filters, ND, they come in various strengths 2,4,8 etc to give you slower shutter speeds in bright weather. As Matty says screw on filters are good espcially for smaller mount sizes, if you have a larger mounting diameter ( like the 77mm on my 10-20) the Cokin type system would work out cheaper for you.

Aye, the Cokin filters are more economical if you need several different filter sizes, and AFAIK Jessops' own brand rectangular filters are interchangeable.

One caveat is that on super-wide lenses the edges of the Cokin filter holder intrude into the frame at focal lengths wider than about 14mm, unless you turn the holder through 90 degrees which is no good for graduated filters. ;)

No problems with either of that. My filter size is 67 mm for the 17-85 and 70-200.

Anyone know of any reasonable places to buy these from? Reasonable as in fairly inexpensive. Dont want to spend 100's of pounds for something if a 100 will do.

I know that the LEE Filters are "the daddy" of the bunch but then they have the 100's of pounds price tag to go with them.

What lens will you be using?

A circular polarizer and a 3 Stop ND filter would be a good start.
Along with a filter holder with the correct ring to fit your lens.

i just bought a polorizer... great to get rid of those nasty reflections of the water and wet rocks as well as deepening the sky. (this also reduces light by about 1-2stops)
also a Cokin "P" set up, with two gradfilters. got the lot from jessops for about £60 if i remember.

eBay (loobylins) where I got most of mine or srbfilm.co.uk where I got others :)

I have a circular polarizer already. So its a P Setup thats best along with a few ND Grads.

Thanks guys

If you want to darken the whole picute evenly then get some ND filters.

The ND Grad Filters are for darkening certain parts of the image, the sky for example.

Back