Filters for Fuji X-T1

Edit My Images
No
Looking at getting some filters for my Fuji and the Lee Seven5 seem popular and the 'out of town' set and a holder edging on for £200.

Just wanted to see if any alternatives were rated for less £ or is that pretty much the going rate for filters?

Thanks!

You might be better off asking in the X-T1 thread.
Lots of guys in there use filters and would be able to help.

Lee Seven5 Yes, any of those 'sets' forget it, just go with the holder, rings to match and whatever filters suit YOUR needs. I have Big Stopper, 0.6ND Hard and 0.9ND Soft, I'd like to add a 0.6 soft and a little stopper too.

I'm new to doing landscapes so I guess a couple of filters and a holder to get me started. Maybe a 0.6 soft grad and a big stopper?

I'm new to doing landscapes so I guess a couple of filters and a holder to get me started. Maybe a 0.6 soft grad and a big stopper?

You posted in the other thread that you have the Samyang 12mm I think that gives you two 'quality' options:-

1 Lee 100mm filters, as I believe that the Seven5 will be too tight on the 12mm
2 Hitech either 85mm or 100mm ranges

I went for the Hitech 85mm range for my grads, but all my plain ND filters are the screw in type, as you are less likely to get light leaks on long exposures. I'm slowly converting over my plain NDs to Hitech Firecrests, as these are quite neutral, but not cheap, so the process is a slow one!

Stupar's set quoted above will be too tight on the Samyang 12mm, thoigh they are fine on his 18-55, but even then might be tight if he starts stacking several filters.

Lee have great re-sale value, so if further down the road you'll get a lot of your money back on selling them. From my experience Hitech Firecrest Big Stoppers, 10,13,16 are more neutral than the Lee Big Stopper. Both companies only make this filter material in batches, so can be out of stock at certain times.

Hope this helps

Thanks! I'll consider other options of the leeseven5 is going to give me issues at 12mm

You posted in the other thread that you have the Samyang 12mm I think that gives you two 'quality' options:-

1 Lee 100mm filters, as I believe that the Seven5 will be too tight on the 12mm
2 Hitech either 85mm or 100mm ranges

I went for the Hitech 85mm range for my grads, but all my plain ND filters are the screw in type, as you are less likely to get light leaks on long exposures. I'm slowly converting over my plain NDs to Hitech Firecrests, as these are quite neutral, but not cheap, so the process is a slow one!

Stupar's set quoted above will be too tight on the Samyang 12mm, thoigh they are fine on his 18-55, but even then might be tight if he starts stacking several filters.

Lee have great re-sale value, so if further down the road you'll get a lot of your money back on selling them. From my experience Hitech Firecrest Big Stoppers, 10,13,16 are more neutral than the Lee Big Stopper. Both companies only make this filter material in batches, so can be out of stock at certain times.

Hope this helps

How do the Hitech Filters perform when using more than one at once with regards to colour casts etc? I'm also looking at investing in some filters, and the Hitech's look very good value compared to Lee.

Cheers,

Simon.

How do the Hitech Filters perform when using more than one at once with regards to colour casts etc? I'm also looking at investing in some filters, and the Hitech's look very good value compared to Lee.

Cheers,

Simon.

The Hitech Firecrest Filters (which are not cheap) have very little colour cast, but some of the others have a blue cast. I have a 16 stop firecrest ND which is brilliant (some other density Firecrest NDs on order) and some of the cheaper ND grads (soft and hard). I haven't really played with the grads enough to look in detail at the colour cast, and often I've been combining them with other manufacturer ND filters which do have a cast so it's difficult to say., but they are the resin ones and these are known to have a slight blue cast. I would expect the Firecrest grads to be pretty neutral though, but they are not cheap!!!

Back