Filters on wide angle

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone used the Cokin P series holder with ultra wide - ie. the 17-40mm? The Cokin blurb suggests it is suitable for wide angle from 24mm so I am wondering if it becomes visible in the view on shorter lenses.

you get vignetting on the 17-40 even with the Xpro Cokin filters, Andy..... Not sure what camera you use though? if its APS-c you should be OK with the P series as you'll crop out the edges.

[edit] LOL - that'll teach me to read your sig! You're a bit stumped with the 5d

It's for the 5D unfortunately. So for wide angle landscape work it's not going to be much good then. What do people use in terms of ND grads on that lens then? Are there any that don't cause the vig?

I had p series on a 1.6 crop and had vignetting on edges. so I sold them. I went for Lee instead (which are the same size as X-pro I understand) and I've had no problems on 1.6 or 1.3 crop. Not tried a full frame, but as they were used by medium and large format with no problems, I'm sure they'd be fine.

Andy,

I've been researching the very same thing over the last couple of days and it seems you'll need the X-pro series as they go down to 15mm on a 5D.

Go to the Cokin website http://www.cokin.com/ and not the Cokin.co.uk site.

The price difference seems to be almost exponential though (compared to the P-series)

Bob

Cokin filters were almost impossible to source recently so don't rule out other makes like kood.

Contact Formatt filters, who make and sell Hi-Tech filters.
Good quality, good prices, and superb service

Andy,

I've been researching the very same thing over the last couple of days and it seems you'll need the X-pro series as they go down to 15mm on a 5D.

That may be the info provided Bob, but from a real life example, i've had vignetting at 17mm on the 1Ds mk2 with the X-pro ND8 and the 17-40 f/40. :shrug:

Bit more research needed then methinks

That may be the info provided Bob, but from a real life example, i've had vignetting at 17mm on the 1Ds mk2 with the X-pro ND8 and the 17-40 f/40. :shrug:

Jon,

From what I've read, the 17-40 will vignette on a full frame regardless of whether it has a filter or not.....

Vignetting will be a non-issue when the 17-40 L is mounted on 1.6x FOVCF bodies. Full frame body users will see vignetting ranging from very strong at 17mm f/4 to not too bad at 40mm f/4 and 17mm f/8.

I think this is another case of the lens spec' being pushed to the limit. I always find it hard to accept that an L class lens cannot be usefully used throughout its entire range.

Thanks for the warning....although I don't have a 17-40 it does make me wonder whether the Cokin info is also on the optimistic side.

Bob

There is actually a special holder designed for use with wide angle lenses (only has slot for one filter though) so I wonder if that solves the problem. I might just go ahead and bite the bullet to find out that way. Look out for a set of second hand filters on the forum in the coming months :)

So for wide angle landscape work it's not going to be much good then.

Wide angle lenses have considerable perspective distortion. As a result a tree at 30 yards looks like it is 300 yards distant from the lens. Not very useful for landscapes.

For high resolution landscapes with considerably less perspective distortion shoot a number of overlapping exposures in an arc, manual exposure!, approx. 100mm focal length, camera in portrait tilt, and then stitch 'm together into a panorama.

I think the lanscaping you have in mind is not what I am thinking of. No matter. I have ordered some Cokin Z pro gear so we'll see how that works out.

Jon,
From what I've read, the 17-40 will vignette on a full frame regardless of whether it has a filter or not.....

Thanks Bob - good point!

There is actually a special holder designed for use with wide angle lenses (only has slot for one filter though) so I wonder if that solves the problem. I might just go ahead and bite the bullet to find out that way. Look out for a set of second hand filters on the forum in the coming months :)

Which reminds me, you can hack off the additional holder part of the cokin holders.... not sure it will help in this case tho!

I had a look at the Z pro and they are modular so that you can put them together with 1,2 or 3 slots. The filters themselves are 100mm by 150mm so I am hoping they might work but I will let you know once I get a chance to test them with the 17-40 on the 5D

Which reminds me, you can hack off the additional holder part of the cokin holders.

Hence the title above my avatar when I made the mistake of asking how to do so!! :D

my 17-40 on the 5D Vignetts quite badly without filters.. but its corrected nicely in Photoshop..

I have the Cokin P filters and at the 17mm end you can see the hollder, and if the holder is tilded slightly it will ruin the picture.. in other words, its quite useless at the wide end.. set at about 20mm or so and its fine.. Im going to goto X-Pro or Lee as soon as funds allow.. i'll keep the P filters for the 40D..

Ive used the *wide* angle holder on a 17-40 with a P series filter.

For the amount i use them i couldnt justify the expense of larger filters

Why not use blue tak instead of a holder?

For filters try here

Lee filter holder is modular, so you can have only one slot on the front if you so desire. It's a bit fiddly to unscrew the assembly and put it back togehter in the field but if you're only going to use one filter then it works grand.Couple that with a wide-angle mounting ring and you should be good to go.

Blue tac is a good option but not so easy to move the filter up and down if you're using grads :) Z pro filters are a bit of a silly price so I didnt order many. The adapter and holder dont work out much more than the X so I thought I might aswell try it.

Back