Filters...

gazedd

Ding Dong
Name
Gary Eddleston
Edit My Images
Yes
[S1]Noobie alert![/S1]
Ok, whats the deal with filters? what dothey do and what can you achive? I want to know from photographers rather thena google search as its a more real answer...

My only view is what Top Gear do with there shooting, by putting a dark shade at the top of thier films to darken the sky, is this a filter?

Try a search of these forums m8, the question has been asked before and again quite recently.

And yes that last is a filter, called a graduated filter, they can be different colours for different effects.

Cheers Steep, did a few searches earlier and still ddnt have a clue!
Might go look on Wiki...

You might want to download the Cokin catalogue. They have examples of the effects of their filters. it'll give you some idea.

To be honest most filter effects can be produced using programs such as Photoshop or the equivalent. The advantage of using post processing techniques is that you don't need to carry a bag full of filters with you, and you can experiment with different strengths and effects.

Nowadays the only filter I carry is a polariser, everything else is done in post

I have CS3 extended, so i guess will be ok. I looked on Wiki and i explained bits and bobs. I didnt relise that the "filters" on PS was the same as the camera's attachements.

I like the Poloriser one I brighten the imges up espescaly the sky

Imho, there are only 3 filters which can't be replicated in software, and they are the Polariser, Neutral Density and Graduated ND filter. And I mean helpful filters, not ones that you may use once, if ever, and there are quite few of those in the Cokin catalogue. ;)

The Polariser cuts reflected light (when in the right position in relation to the light source) to saturate colours, and minimise reflections.

The Neutral Density (in various strengths) cuts the amount of light to enable longer shutter speeds than you may otherwise be able to get depending on the situation you are in.

The Graduated ND filter balances a bright sky with darker foreground for example, to let you record a scene in one image, rather than taking multiple exposures, and merging them together later in software. Or just setting exposure for the sky, and brightening the foreground, which will introduce noise. Again, they come in various strengths.

I also always stick a UV or Skylight filter on my lenses, and though of no optical benefit, give me piece of mind against scratching the front lens element. For those that don't bother, that's your prerogative. ;)

So for general snapping about just use a UV/Skylight filter
Like I said, just for protection, there's no optical benefit.

I know someone whose camera got a bit crushed a couple of weeks ago, forcing the lenscap into the the lens, but because he had a UV filter on, the glass in the filter cracked, but the actual lens was OK. :) It is not as if they are expensive. Better to have the option of using one or not. :)

Back