Filters.....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've now realised that I need some ND Grad filters.

So, I think about Cokin, mainly because I have a holder (although not for my current lenses...) Which got me thinking.

My Cokin set is about 20 years old, and whilst the filters still do their job, most of them a full colour, either warming or cooling effects, which I can do in the PP process now anyway (apart from that much overused 4 point starburst filter which I may play with soon, just for old times sake :LOL:).

Will my current filter holder work with modern filters, is Cokin the way to go (it was 20 years ago). How much is a set of ND grads going to cost me ???

See, I did tell you all that I was way out of date on this stuff.....

Steve

cor blimey how many questions in 1 post :LOL:

you dont say which size cokin filter you have A or P or other , the sizes havent altered for years so new filters should fit an old holder .

i have a lot of old cokin filters & a few new ones ,the newer ones give a colour cast so i recently bought an alternative which also fit cokin P size holders ..

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index....=10288&zenid=297ddde76bb37cbb8596f4b979dfb86b

they seem to be good.

Looks like mine are "A" filters ( the cheap ones I think....)

Looking at the holder, I'm wondering whether it's too small for the 82mm thread on the Sigma 10-20....

I'll investigate further.

Thanks for the response.

Steve

A will be too small for a lot of lens best to go with P or Z pro ( i think, the bigger one anyway)

I have been looking at some nd grads and this company which I found mentioned in an old thread which was slating the cokin filters.

I have the Cokin Z pro grads and so far I haven't had any issues with colour casts so I'm not sure where that came from. Might be one or two people not being careful with white ballance and spreading the word that it was the fault of the filters.

Maybe? :)

Cokin P series covers up to 82mm

From their site:

77MM TH0.75 ADAPTER P477
82MM TH0.75 ADAPTER P482

I bought a load of P filters.. then i got my 17-40!! i can only use them upto about 24mm any wider and you have the holder in the frame!!..

Im thinking about getting rid of them at some point and getting the X ones.. or maybe the Lee's.. they are very good too..

Fraggle101

Are you using the Cokin wide angle holder with the 17-40?

Tom

Back