Beginner Finally beaten my phone

Edit My Images
Yes
Went away to Wales a couple of weeks ago and treated myself to a cheap set of filters.

What a difference, the sky is no longer blown out and thanks to my Cousins insane obsession with getting up at 4:00am and spending hours on the road and the internet finding great locations I have finally managed to take a better shot than my phone

really chuffed

Filtered sunrise.jpg

Now I just need to get good at it

Everyone has to start somewhere. You can't be good from the start, you need to practice just like the rest of us. :)

I feel like the first few months have been about the technical challenge of learning how to use the camera, I feel fairly happy that I can get what I'm seeing photographed correctly now, so I think from here on out it's composition and processing.

and of course the dreaded GAS

check out the horizon - best if it's level....(y)

The 2nd is very nice. I thought I had got better than my phone, but then I got a new phone!

I'm using photoshop elements at the moment, my Cousin uses lightroom to great effect but he also uses much better equipment and is armed with the all important element, experience

check out the horizon - best if it's level....(y)

+1 ^^^ straight horizons stop the water running out of the picture ;)

Having said that the first one has some nice 'drama' to it that might benefit from some work on the flat contrast and as you have elected "edit my images" here is my rough & ready tweak. Which you can no doubt improve on by starting from scratch on the original file.

I worked on the levels by nudging the shadow end a tad and the mid tones to try to give the whole image better tonal range and then to boost the overall contrast I used USM at Local Contrast Enhancement settings of 15 & 30 to get the attached

Filtered sunrise_edit.jpg

And avoid lots of scrolling here is your original, hope it helps? (NB I did not correct the horizon;) )

Filtered sunrise.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a look, it's definitely sharper your way, I'll take another look at the RAW file and see if I can sharpen it in the same way

Back