Finally Getting my Scanner

Name
K
Edit My Images
No
After waiting many months to be able to purchase a scanner I have finally ordered one. :)

It was always a toss-up between Epson & Canon but I decided on the Epson V500.

I ordered it from these guys; bmi solutions, as they were by far the cheapest I could find and there is no postage charge.

All I have to do now is set it up and set aside plenty of time to scan in my approx 1600 negs, that's before rumaging through my loft for all the old negs from days gone by.

I will be like a child with a new toy. He, he..

I brought that scanner a few weeks ago, very pleased with it, pity scanning negs takes ages... and you have 1600...ouch! Have fun!

It's a great scanner-I'm really pleased with mine. The one thing that I did find was to ensure that the sharpening and grain reduction options are disabled in the scanner software as Elements 6 does a far better job. Apart from that, no worries. I'm even getting 20 year-old prints looking better than the originals (y)

All I have to do now is set it up and set aside plenty of time to scan in my approx 1600 negs, that's before rumaging through my loft for all the old negs from days gone by.

Why do you want to scan all of them? Why not just scan them as and when you want to do something with them?

Steve.

It's a great scanner-I'm really pleased with mine. The one thing that I did find was to ensure that the sharpening and grain reduction options are disabled in the scanner software as Elements 6 does a far better job. Apart from that, no worries. I'm even getting 20 year-old prints looking better than the originals (y)

Thanks for the heads up about the sharpening etc...

Why do you want to scan all of them? Why not just scan them as and when you want to do something with them?
Steve.

Yeah, obviously I was only saying in jest about scanning them all in one sitting. :D
I am not that much of a glutton for punishment.:bonk:

Cheers bud..,

Yeah, obviously I was only saying in jest about scanning them all in one sitting. :D
I am not that much of a glutton for punishment.:bonk:

That's o.k. then.

I do come across people asking for advice though on the best way to scan their collection of thousands of images to 'archive' them.

They don't realise that the originals are the archive and will probably outlive any files they make from scans of them.

Steve.

That's o.k. then.

I do come across people asking for advice though on the best way to scan their collection of thousands of images to 'archive' them.

They don't realise that the originals are the archive and will probably outlive any files they make from scans of them.

Steve.

If I started scanning mine now I would probably look like Gandalf by the time I had finished.

Having said that, I have a number that I do need to scan straight away, (family weddings, birthdays etc), which I keep getting pestered about and then there are others where I have experimented in new areas of photography, (for me that is), which I really need to see as images to check my progress.

Cheers..,

Hrm, I have always wanted to scan my dad's neg's for him. Would interested to know what you think of it :)

so does this mean we'll finally see the promised shot's from this thread :LOL:

oh and iirc, if you've got the scanner then it must mean :woot::woot:Happy Birthday:beer::beer::LOL:

Hrm, I have always wanted to scan my dad's neg's for him. Would interested to know what you think of it :)

I certainly will. :)

so does this mean we'll finally see the promised shot's from this thread :LOL:

With a bit of luck, yep. ;)

oh and iirc, if you've got the scanner then it must mean :woot::woot:Happy Birthday:beer::beer::LOL:

Darn it, you remembered. :LOL:

I have been suffering at the hands of her-in-doors all week for turning 40. :D

Thanks for the beer, mate.

Cheers..,

Buy a blusher brush....and some guyliner...

I'm joking about the guyliner.......:p

Well the scanner arrived this morning only about 5 days later than expected due to a courier mixup.

Haven't really had a chance to do that much with it at the moment as I am still getting to grips.

I must say that with the small bit of fiddling I have done, that I am very impressed; this would answer aligibbs question.

I have only scanned 9x120mm negs at 300dpi and done a little cloning for the dust bunnies etc..

I did the image editing within PSP X2 simply because I know the various settings within PSP, so I just scanned the neg straight with no pre-processing.

I suppose I could say that I wish the medium format holder could scan 3 6x6 negs at a time instead of 2 as all mine are in groups of 3 in the archive sheets but that would be really picky.

Anyhow, here is an image taken with my Zeiss Ikon Nettar.

Cheers..,

Sleeves come in 2 formats, 4 rows of 3 across the sleeve and 3 rows of 4 down the sleeve.
I always asked my E6 lab to stick them in 3 rows of 4 when I had an epson scanner, saves 25% faff factor.
I still buy 3x4 sleeves for my b/w, even though I don't have an epson.
Your lucky anyway, mine only scans one at a time..:(

nice scan btw, bit flat but sharp enough..

Sleeves come in 2 formats, 4 rows of 3 across the sleeve and 3 rows of 4 down the sleeve.
I always asked my E6 lab to stick them in 3 rows of 4 when I had an epson scanner, saves 25% faff factor.
I still buy 3x4 sleeves for my b/w, even though I don't have an epson.
Your lucky anyway, mine only scans one at a time..:(

nice scan btw, bit flat but sharp enough..

Yeah, my sleeves are 4 rows by 3 across.

It just seems a little wierd with the medium format holder cos there looks like plenty of room to make it 3 wide but I know there are the other medium format neg sizes to take into account, no biggy. ;)

The scan is basically straight from neg, just dust cloning nothing special, had to find out how the thing worked, I shall experiment a little more tomorrow.

Cheers..,

Back