Finally got a slingshot!!

Name
David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I know it's an old bit of kit, but very exciting for me! I have a computrekker and whilst it's great for things like airline travel I find it a royal pain in the you know what to try and use as an everyday bag. We are off to San Francisco with the kids next week and my dear lady :love: ordered me a Slingshot 300 as an early birthday present. I love it already and it'll make life so much better as far as San Francisco is concerned! :D

Some owners have complained that if you load the 300 up then it is uncomfortable to carry around. All I say to that is - if that's what you find then don't load it up with heavy equipment. I've had mine loaded up sometimes, and yes it may be a bit on the heavy side. But then you move it about, switch shoulders, take a rest once in a while, and generally stop being a pussy and get on with it. If you don't fill it with camera equipment then you can use the space to carry maps, rain jacket, food etc.

As for taking it overseas, I cannot get all that I want to take in the 300. I take my big Computrekker AW which holds my 17in laptop and all the stuff that I could not get on without should my main bag go astray. It just fits in the airline cabin bag size measuring frame. I put the 300 (or sometimes the 200) in my suitcase . I fill the 300 with socks, underwear, whatever, until it is full. That way it takes little of the suitcase space. At my destination I then take out for the day just what I want to carry around.

Check the San Francisco weather and be prepared. It may not be as warm as you would be hoping for. If you are planning on going to Alcatraz, then make your online booking NOW. It's almost guaranteed that if you leave it until you get there, you won't get a ticket. They are usually booked days ahead. Here's one place to book from

http://www.reserve123.com/index.cfm?go=products.tours&market_ID=1&Submit=GO

Take one of the city tours. The antique car (bus really, and not antique) and duck tours are quite good. the Duck (DUKW) drives in to the bay.

If you can stretch to it, try a 30 min flight in a Beaver seaplane over the city for $140. Find the tourist office on Pier 39 to book, or try the link above. On Saturdays they don't fly over the city, just the bay, so pick another day. If you have to, leave the kids behind. Tell them they'll be sick or something. Have a nice time.

You are a star!!! I'd told the long haired general that I'd book the tickets one day last week for Alcatraz and then completely forgot about them! I thought the weather would come as a little bit of a shock to the system as we're normally in shorts and t-shirt weather by this time of year here. It was around 28deg here yesterday and only 14 deg today. Very bizarre to go from sun burn to fleeces in less than 24 hours! At least it means that 12deg in SF wont come as such a shock to the system.

Great tip for the international travel with the 2 bags (especially as they're the same bags as mine!). I've got to go back to the UK for a seminar next month so I'll use that method then.

For airline travel the depth of the Computrekker needs to be watched. I have the waist straps tucked inside, plus a laptop which makes this dimension close to the limit. Don't pack the main compartment higher than the dividers, and don't put anything with significant thickness in the front pocket. It will then slide in to the measuring frame comfortably. I've had mine checked twice now.

For airline travel the depth of the Computrekker needs to be watched. I have the waist straps tucked inside, plus a laptop which makes this dimension close to the limit. Don't pack the main compartment higher than the dividers, and don't put anything with significant thickness in the front pocket. It will then slide in to the measuring frame comfortably. I've had mine checked twice now.

agreed, but i take the waist straps off. Generally not an issue. Also, try not to look like its heavy.....it can easily be over the 10k limit if you stuff it :)

I went to LA last year with the Slingshot 300 and didnt get stopped once. i took it on the plane as hand luggage. I flew with Virgin and the dimensions of the bag only, and i mean only just came under the requirements.
I had my canon 5d, 24-70L and 70-200L. camera charger with lead and spare batterys etc etc.

Back