Finally!

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Last night was the first time in ages I've really enjoyed my photography. Lately the only time I've used the camera is for the Autocross championship which has become very repetetive and I'm only doing it to try and fund a new lens really. I don't think I've taken a single photo I'd put on my wall. Or it's been taking pictures of the dogs which again becomes very samey.

I've recently been approached by some people to take photos of their cars, they're the max power brigade all big wheels and choonz so I thought I'd go and have a play on my own first and I really want to find a use for wireless flash too. I just wish I had a better subject than the pale blue Rusty Racing Vectra.

First I took a test shot to expose for the background, and figured the flash would sort the car out. First question, does wireless flash work (as in calculating exposure not wether it fires or not) with the camera set in manual or does it require aperture or shutter mode?

Anyway the first shot, added +0.20 EV in RSE and correected the WB (added to all shots).

Car12.jpg

Same editing as before but I moved the camera so the car filled the frame a bit more.

Car2.jpg

Decided to move the flash to the front of the car instead of the side as it didn't think the front was well enough lit.

Car3.jpg

I soon realised that one flash wasn't enough but it's hard to find another one at 1am in rural old northumberland which meant I had to run round with the flash mounted on the tripod during the long exposure. Good old modelling light to the rescue.

I went wide again with this shot like the first one now I'd played with multiple flash firing. This is the only shot I've cropped because I forgot how wide the lens was and there's a big light trail where I was waving the flash around like a foor. I also cropped the right slightly coz I thought the fence was leading out of the frame and it was dead space anyway.

Car41.jpg

I didn't put these into in depth critique because they're not really good enough I don't think. I would appreciate some input though with regards to any aspect of what I've done.

Cheers all,
Kev

That's how you do this (if you don't have a multi-unit outdoor flash set-up) - set the flash to manual and run round the car doing cumulative flashes. Work out the exposure from the number of flashes you use.
Was a lot easier with the old manual Metz CT-60 hammerhead guns (which is one reason I still have one) than a new dedicated flash.

Do make sure you don't run into the frame though, or you'll get a ghostly flash appearing.

Work out exposure from the number of flashes? Are you quite mad. It's all pot luck mate, no working things out or skill involved. I aint ready for that.

Back