Fire station portraits

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Something that is far from my best subject.
Infact i'd say i am terrible at it!!
Anyway, i agreed i'd take a couple of shots of the lads at the fire station.
I have done so, they're far from acceptable imo.
I don't want to send them off to get printed as i'm ashamed.
Its my first attempt at a shoot and i don't want to ahve to go back and gather them up again.
Sadly part of the shot is ruined by a arm out of line that i didn't notice.

Can anyone help? Is it rude to ask?
http://www.btinternet.com/~black.richard/DSC_5815.NEF
DSC_58151.jpg

i included the Raw file if that helps. Juust after some tips really.

Oh Dear! 1/10 of a second??

You've obviously used flash, but long after the flash died away the shutter was still open and the ambient light was strong enough to record secondary blur on some of your figures. You can see it best on the chest badges of the big guy at front centre. The image is also very noisy for 200 ISO, but long exposures will increase noise.

It's not a good image and there's no point in pretending otherwise, but the guy isn't born who didn't make a mistake ...the thing is to learn from them.

Borats Baby has done as good an edit as you're likely to get out of the image tbh, so charge it up to experience.

The actual pose is OK for the regimented sort of shot these guys no doubt wanted, so you did OK there. You have all the time in the world though to set up these group shots so take your time. Use a tripod. Personally I'd like to see the feet and a bit of foreground, but I know there isn't always room for that. Have a good look in that viewfinder for background distractions and remove them. Don't be afraid to move furniture around if need be ..... take charge and don't be rushed!

You should really have increased the shutter speed to the max flash sync speed of your camera to freeze subject movement and avoid those secondary images.

Bite the bullet - go back and tell 'em you want to take the shots again... they'll respect you for it and it's character building. ;)

Tighter crop

Altered Brightness/White balance

Cloned new crotch

Cloned new (waxed ;) ) arms

Sharpened

I have the larger file if you want i can send to you ~2.5Mb for £5 (only kidding)

JB

DSC_5815_copy.jpg

Krazy, loosk much better! Cheers fella.

I agree with all that's been said but when you go back why not take this shot with the fire engine in the background to contextualise (did I really just type that? :LOL:) the image, at the moment the shot you have doesn't say anything about who they are or what they do. You could also try and take other shots which are more informal, e.g. when they are sorting out their kit, testing euipment etc in a documentary style, I'm sure they would love them.

It's a great opportunity for good shots due to the nature of their work.

I agree with all that's been said but when you go back why not take this shot with the fire engine in the background to contextualise (did I really just type that? :LOL:) the image, at the moment the shot you have doesn't say anything about who they are or what they do. You could also try and take other shots which are more informal, e.g. when they are sorting out their kit, testing euipment etc in a documentary style, I'm sure they would love them.

It's a great opportunity for good shots due to the nature of their work.

I want to go back. I'm actually in the photo, as i'm one of the lads. I know it was hard enough to get some of them to take that photo. I felt rushed. I may throw this at them and say i'm taking another in summer with the pump outside. See how they take it.

Nah... he'll be the one without his arms folded. :D

LOL You shall never know...

Back