Firecrest Picture & RAW Help needed!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Sorry but not been around much recently on these boards due to a very busy home life. I managed to get out this weekend and dust off the old camera and was fortunate enough to see one of these little chaps.

The quality isn't the best but I thought it was nice to share my joy at seeing my first one for over 15 years!

If anyone fancies having a go at making a better effort than I did on the RAW conversion of the second image, a full RAW file is available RAW here (16.5Mb Download Nikon NEF Format Zipped) jpeg here as my post processing skills are virtually non existant! I only switched to RAW after the 1st shot was taken.

If anyone does take the plunge then a 800x600 or 600x800 crop would be perfect as I could pop it on my website.

Thanks for looking!

2008-03-02_Firecrest01.jpg

2008-03-02_Firecrest02.jpg

Cracking shot of a bird Ive not seen, the goldcrests are very hard to get close to so this be the fire must be the same.
is the noise there because of such a big crop.

Ive tried the link to get the original but theres seems to be an error.

For the second shot it was ISO 800 which isn't that pretty on a D200. The light was pretty lousy and I was only shooting at 160th second though in hindsight I could have had it at around 400th with the available light looking at the f stop.

Thats about as big as I can get it and keep the noise down. maybe someone will have better luck

CJTa_1275.jpg

The Goldcrest is prety hard to capture due its movement (for me anyhow)!

But a Firecrest is a very rare brid indeed. Its not as 'plump' as a gold and more kind of warbler looking with an orangy coloured crest.

A great capture!

Not many have the luck to see these birds, let alone photograph them. Well done. :clap:

Thought I'd have a quick go with Lightroom and a plug in called Noise Ninja.

CJT_1275-1.jpg

It's a nice shot. I think the noise is a combination of ISO 800 and the original being slightly underexposed.

I had a go in NX. Not just up to how it all works yet though.
http://
Firecrest_modified.jpg

:clap: Well done Ceege. I can imagine your joy, I managed to get a not very good shot of a Goldcrest yesterday :)
Can't help with the processing, my 'skills' are pretty limited, but well done on the catch (y)

Thanks for the replies. I like that first conversion, certainly seems much better than my attempt! I have tried the Noise Ninja plugin and used the ISO 800 plugin but didn't seem to get as good results? Any tips you can offer?

I guess I also need to get myself a D300 to allow acceptable noise shooting at ISO800!

Thanks for the replies. I like that first conversion, certainly seems much better than my attempt! I have tried the Noise Ninja plugin and used the ISO 800 plugin but didn't seem to get as good results? Any tips you can offer?

I guess I also need to get myself a D300 to allow acceptable noise shooting at ISO800!

If you mean mine
Cropped reduced the size and a few tweaks in CS3 including the noise reduction filter.
I also have "noiseware" which I ran it through, but thought the results were a little too "plastic"

Back