Firefox on iMac keeps freezing

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed over the last few weeks that Firefox is periodically slowing down and then freezing, I get the coloured circle for about twenty seconds at a time and it will do it two or three times on the trot.

I've also noticed that it is very slow to load the first time after starting the Mac.

Any ideas?

Assuming it's Firefox 3.... First thing to do is isolate if it's the App or your personal settings, so if there is another account on your Mac try logging into that first and seeing what the effect is. If you don't, you can try the following anyway.

Presuming you have another account to log in to - If it's the same problem, download Firefox again and overwrite the existing one in /Applications.

If that works ok, go on to the next step to troubleshoot the Firefox settings on your account.

Try renaming the org.mozilla.firefox.plist, which you'll find in /Users/xxyourusernamexx/Library/Preferences.

If that doesn't work, try this...

Find the the following location: /Users/xxyourusernamexx/Library/Application Support/Firefox and rename the Firefox folder (don't delete it - you may want to put it back. I usually stick "old" in front so it's easy to find again).

This removes your Firefox profile, so next time you launch it'll be missing all your bookmarks and stuff - you can always delete the new Firefox folder that gets created and rename the "oldFirefox" folder you originally renamed back to "Firefox" if it doesn't fix it.

Hope this helps.

firefox on my mac doesnt display sites properly sometimes, its like it gives up and doesnt show pictures. I use safari 4 on the mac instead, its come on a long way

firefox on my mac doesnt display sites properly sometimes, its like it gives up and doesnt show pictures.

Ah, does it just show the first 4 images of a page? Mine does this sometimes both at home, and at work.

Nowt a quick restart (of the app, not the Mac) won't fix. :)

Sorry Colin I can't contain myself any longer :D
There are past thread where IE and or a PC have caused
"problems" and a solution was sort on here.
The answer is usually the same
GET A MAC
or DITCH IE AND GET FIREFOX
Can I offer the reverse as a solution ? :coat:
(ok so I am not really helping am I ? :D )

Sorry Colin I can't contain myself any longer :D
There are past thread where IE and or a PC have caused
"problems" and a solution was sort on here.
The answer is usually the same
GET A MAC
or DITCH IE AND GET FIREFOX
Can I offer the reverse as a solution ? :coat:
(ok so I am not really helping am I ? :D )

No, you're not helping :cautious: :LOL:

My initial reaction probably isn't any better but I'll say it anyway. Why on earth are you using firefox when safari is available?

Back