Firewall and Browser Guide.

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
As requested, we are going to put together a guide to assist our members with setting up their firewalls and browsers, so that images can be viewed from the forum.
To do this we will need a little help from our members.
The information we want from you is:

Brand of firewall used
Browser used
Spam guard used
Also can you state what version you are using.
If you can, post how you have set up the above, and any other information that you might find useful.

Thanks

I use:
Avast antivirus (because its free for home use, and captures viruses that norton doesn't)and I highly recommend this product.
Zone Alarm firewall (not overly impressed with it though).
Firefox 1.5

Below is a list of links to the manufacturers sites. The manuals show how to set up their product for add blocking and exceptions.
You will need to enter talkphotography.co.uk as an exception, to stop the firewall from blocking images.

Firewall
Kerio See link. Now owned by Sunbelt.

Norton You will need Adobe PDF reader for this, skip down to Chapter 15.
Open Norton Internet Security (NIS) using the Norton taskbar icon.
1. Open Norton Internet Security settings dialog.
2. Select the "Ad Blocking" Feature in the lower portion of the dialog.
3. Click the Configure button in the bottom right side of the dialog.
4. In the Ad Blocking dialog click the Advanced button at the lower left side.
5. In the Advanced dialog click the Add Site button in the lower left.
6. Type 'talkphotography.co.uk' (without the quotes) in the Add Site dialog and press OK.
7. Select the new entry 'talkphotography.co.uk' in the list on the left side of the Advanced dialog.
8. Select the Ad Blocking tab in the top right corner of the Advanced dialog.
9. Click the Add button below the Ad Blocking list.
10. In the "Add new HTML string" dialog that appears, type '.ad.' (without the quotes but with the dots), select Permit, and press OK.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10, this time typing "banner" and again selecting Permit.
12. Press OK in the Advanced dialog and again in the Ad Blocking dialog to save your changes.
13. Close your Norton Internet Security dialog as your changes are complete.

Sygate Effective November 30th, 2005 all Sygate personal firewall products will be discontinued.

Zone Alarm Goto privacy and protection section in the PDF.

i have:
AVG virus software
Sygate personal firewall
Windows Firewall
Hardware firewall
Microsoft antispam filter
google and IE popup blocker

i have IE set up for custom, pop up blocker on, cookies allowed.
Sygate is set to ask for everything, very annoying to start with, but once you've had it on a few days it doenst ask anymore
Hardware firewall is 'on' but i dont know the settings
AVG is active scanning
anti spyware is active, realtime.

ADSL router with built in firewall, norton as braces, 2002 fully updated. Settings are auto. Firefox 1.07 (?) No spam guard.

Linksys WAG54G ADSL router
Firefox (Windows)
Safari (Mac)
Sophos AntiVirus for both platforms

WXP - full security updates
ADSL Router
MS Firewall
AVG Anti Virus
Firefox 1.7, Pop-up blocker, install on demand
Internet Explorer, Pop-up blocker, install on demand
ISP (Plusnet) Anti Spam

regards

A good guide to tweaking firefox can be found here:

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/firefox/index.shtml

Providing you have a relatively high spec machine, firefox can be made to run a shed load quicker. General disclaimers apply...although if anyone needs any assistance or clarification of the settings then post away and I will do my best to translate the geek speak into normal English

2 machines - one client (XP), one server (Win 2k Svr)

Server running AVG with Norton Firewall. This site is set up so that it can see IE history (Options settings on Internet Security page)

Client running AVG and IE6.0 SP1; Server connected via cable modem to NTHell

AVG antivirus
Kerio Firewall
Windows firewall (disabled)

This is a works PC so I'm not allowed to install what I'd prefer to have on here.

My 3 machines all have:

Norton Internet Security (Firewall, AV and popup/spam blocker)
They are all behind the NAT firewall in the broadband router
All use WinXP Home with full security updates
All use IE6

I run 3 machines off a Linksys wired router with hardware firewall.

All running XP Pro and Firefox.

All running Microsoft Anti Spyware 24/7 and Ad-Aware occasionally.

My machine is setup attached to a router running hardware firewall

I run Kaspersky Anti-Virus, No Anti-Spyware and use Mozilla just running with pop up blocker and no image filtering

We run 3 machines, two desktops connected by network cable and one laptop with a wireless connection through a belkin router. Blueyonder is our isp

Norton Internet Security (Firewall, Antivirus, and popup and spam blocker). Also Belkin Hardware Firewall.

All machines have Win XP Home and IE6

Mike

Laptop running in no particular order I am afraid;

VirusScan
Windows Firewall
MS AntiSpyWare
SpyBot Search & Destroy
BT Yahoo Browser
MS Internet Explorer 6.0

Hope it helps ?

Desktop + laptop, both running AVG Antivirus and AdAware.
WinXP Home on both systems - no software firewall
Mozilla Firefox 1.5
D-Link G604T wireless router/hardware firewall

Everything left largely to default settings.

Bitdefender, Firewall and Antivirus in one.
Opera user since the year dot.
Once in a while I run Adaware and Spybot search and destroy.
Common Sense, the best antivirus tool out there.

I've not had to make any changes to view images on this or any other forum.

Win XP Pro on 2 downstairs PCs
Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 wireless router (hard-wired to my PC though)
NOD32 AV (very fast, uses low resources, and v. good rep.)
Sygate PF Pro
Firefox 1.5.3
MS Defender
Spybot S&D

2 PCs upstairs using wireless and XPHome, otherwise same as above.
1 Laptop, XPHome, using cable most of time but wireless when needed, rest same as above.

I have had zero issues with anything so far, and NOD32 has caught a few virii/trojans when transferring data from other peeps PC's to mine for temporary safe storage, even though they had Norton, AVG or whatever on there :cool:

NOD32 currently using just 21Mb RAM with 36Mb peak, and I have it set to maximum scan settings which bog down most other AV, not this though.

Apple System X Netbarrier Firefox browser Never any problem with images on forums.

avg free
sygate personal firewall
nvidia hardware firewall
linsys router hardware firewall
firefox 1.5.0.1
windows firewall turned off

avg -antivirus
kerio -firewall
windows -firewall
antisyware ms /adaware
firefox lastest edtion
no problems with forum at all

Powermac G5

Linksys WAG354G Wireless Router Gateway hardwired (with NAT enabled)
Watchguard firebox SOHO 6 Hardware firewall (Custom settings)
OS X 10.4.8 software firewall
little snitch software firewall
Sophos Anti-virus 4.8.7
Firefox - latest version

Dell PC

Linksys WAG354G Wireless Router Gateway (with NAT enabled)
Watchguard firebox SOHO 6 Hardware firewall (Custom settings)
Bitdefender 10 firewall and anti-virus (custom settings)
windows firewall
firefox 2

Speedtouch 510v4 Router
Firefox 2.0.0.1
AVG 7.5.432
Win XP Firewall

And a VERY large Host file

Speedtouch 510v4 Router
Firefox 2.0.0.1
AVG 7.5.432
Win XP Firewall

And a VERY large Host file

Actually, would you be able to send me that file? (Unless there's anything personal in it of course).

The reason I ask, is that my router keeps falling over, usually at the wrong time.
Traffic still works, but DNS fails...and I've tried all sorts. IP traffic still works fine, so this would help.

If not, no worries :)

Bitdefender, does everything.

bit.jpg

Hardware firewall on router
ZoneAlarm (cos I dont trust the hardware firewall completely... with good reason. ZoneAlarm stopped 4 attempts that the HW firewall missed in the last few months)
Windows Firewall is disabled
McAffee virus scanner

SonicWALL PRO 4060 running SonicOS Enhanced
Cisco Router providing NO NAT
Symantec Corporate Anti Virus suite (10.2)
Windows Firewall disabled.

Actually, would you be able to send me that file? (Unless there's anything personal in it of course).

The reason I ask, is that my router keeps falling over, usually at the wrong time.
Traffic still works, but DNS fails...and I've tried all sorts. IP traffic still works fine, so this would help.

If not, no worries :)

At a guess it wont help you. In this context (firewall/security) the hosts file is used to prevent access to particular addresses - usually by setting to 127.0.0.1

which dns provider do you use? opendns seems ok

Can anyone tell me why I cant get into my server for my website unless I turn off Zone Alarm completely? Ive never had this problem before.
Zone alarm is set to allow dreamweaver which is the program Im using.. port forward on port 21 TCP is ok.. ive no idea whats going on all of a sudden.

router with nat
iptables
adblock
firefox & opera
unix/gnu/linux

Security is a big/complex topic and you really need to cover all bases.

shields up is good for testing your visibility on the web www.grc.com and navigate down.
that will tell you if a connection attempt will get to you.

NAT makes it difficult for attacks to get past your router (assuming that your router is secure.. check firmware and watch it if you're on bt hub)

then you want a software firewall on the pc specifically to pick up connection attempts out from your pc.

you want anti-virus for the email and web pages and files on the pc.

you need something to pick up script attacks - not just javascript but xml/xsml etc which is more difficult.

you need to keep fully up to date on security patches for all your media handling applications

you need safe/reliable dns - this is to my mind the biggest hole around at the moment. polluted dns just throws you to the wolves.

Can anyone tell me why I cant get into my server for my website unless I turn off Zone Alarm completely? Ive never had this problem before.
Zone alarm is set to allow dreamweaver which is the program Im using.. port forward on port 21 TCP is ok.. ive no idea whats going on all of a sudden.

what do the zonealarm logs show is happening when you try to connect? what is it blocking?

what do the zonealarm logs show is happening when you try to connect? what is it blocking?

nothing actually pops up on zone alarm when it happens.
Dreamweaver just says "Cannot connect to the server".
If I disable zone alarm it connects straight away.

I will tell you what the log says when I get home from work...thank you. :)

At a guess it wont help you. In this context (firewall/security) the hosts file is used to prevent access to particular addresses - usually by setting to 127.0.0.1

which dns provider do you use? opendns seems ok

It would :)

It would help me for when my DNS servers are down, and instead of trying to find the IP's for websites, they would be in my hosts file, bypassing the need for communication with a dns server. :)

(I use OpenDNS too)

Can you check your ftp settings in DW.

you need to be using "passive FTP"

you should find it in Advanced as the wizard does not give it as an option iirc.

It would :)

It would help me for when my DNS servers are down, and instead of trying to find the IP's for websites, they would be in my hosts file, bypassing the need for communication with a dns server. :)

(I use OpenDNS too)

Yeah, but generally someone using a hosts file as part of an anti-virus/anti-spam system will fill the hosts file with hosts they want to ban and put a loopback IP on them.

I find opendns a bit slow sometimes, but I've not had any issues about availability. But I have it as part of a pool with my isp dns.

Just re-read the thread, and I don't think I sent you the host file Marcel. Sorry about that, I've put the host file on my web space so anyone can copy it if they wish HOSTS

Its ok.. Ive found the problem. I had enabled Macromedia Dreamweaver in the programs list of Zone Alarm........but didnt notice there was also a Dreamweaver only, too! I have now enabled this and all is well......thanks. (y)

Back