weekly firewireguy 52 / 2024 Week 16 - Empty

Soft: I like the texture in this. Might work well in mono too.
Water: =
#2 for me. I like the way the curve leads they eye.

Not very inspired by the weather this week and definitely not hanging any clothes on the line :D

4ff7e4a6dce5ad761e4d2f0022d9.jpg

Z6, Sigma 105 DG OS Macro, 1/160, f/3.2, ISO140

Thank you. Thinking about it now I should have tried a longer shutter speed to try capture the falling rain a bit clearer

No, it's spot on as it is: colourful and fun.

Neat and tidy books

c46baf17a764feb305d143a39da3.jpg

Z6, 50mm 1.8G, 1/100, f/4.5, ISO 100, flash bounded off ceiling.

Adjusted the perspective to get it totally straight and square in Photolab.

This is by far the neatest and tidiest anything in the whole house!

Last edited:
Very tidy, we have the same set but are missing one book which went walkabout ages ago never to be seen again.
Which one are you missing? I'd be on ebay trying to make a full set.

I've been reading them as bedtime books to the kids. Just started book 4 - Miserable Mill tonight. They've already heard them all read properly as audio books in the wife's car, but I only heard bits now and then. We're all enjoying them.

Which one are you missing? I'd be on ebay trying to make a full set.

I've been reading them as bedtime books to the kids. Just started book 4 - Miserable Mill tonight. They've already heard them all read properly as audio books in the wife's car, but I only heard bits now and then. We're all enjoying them.
I'm not positive which one is missing I just remember the irritation on display by my daughter when it went to the place that the missing socks go. She's all grown up now so I think I will leave it to her to recomplete the set if she so wishes although I think her priorities are more about going out with her boyfriend these days.

Very tidy. I love the way how the stack ends on the right with the one titled "The End"!

Snappers: Simple but very effective.
Neat and tidy: You obviously have a good eye for colour.

Happend across a rugby game on my walk today and thought it fit well for this week. This was just half time was blown.

c52daa0f6451868b14f519b9e62d.jpg

Z6, 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, f/2.8, 1/2000, ISO 5000

Last edited:
Yep - what a mucky lot!

Excellent capture. ISO 5000 ?
Yeah. I use manual mode with auto ISO and I had the shutter speed set high as I had just been shooting my kids wizzing by on their scooters. I should have slowed it down a tad and let the camera lower the ISO a bit.

Week 8 - Whole

I didn't really have many ideas for this week and this was my first attempt at trying a still life like this. I'm more used to taking flower photos in the wild with wind to contend with.
Amazing what a plain piece of A4 paper and a flash can do.

5241d3b5f4571c49e1ccc17598ec.jpg

Z6, Sigma 105mm OS HSM Macro @ f/22, 1/30 with SB-910 bounced off the wall.

Filthy bunch, takes me back a few years. Nice shot bang on theme.
Thanks. I wouldn't normally have gone to watch, but the eldest is dead keen on rugby at the moment, so we went over to see. I used to play football as a kid and ended up looking pretty similar most weekends :D
Nice find, mucky is the word.
Thank you. I was hoping filthy would be the word ;)
Fits the bill very nicely. Well spotted.
Thanks. I only spotted it for the theme after I'd taken it and was walking back. Brain: "Ohh, that'd be good for this weeks theme". Me: "Oh yeah, good idea".

Nice apple shot. I like the dof giving the edge a soft glow :)

Nice apple shot. I like the dof giving the edge a soft glow :)
Thanks. I struggled to get it sharp with enough DoF and landed on f22 in the end, which I normally try avoid as diffraction talk has scared me. Brightening the background in post really added that glow and it turned out a lot nicer than SOOC.

Brightening the background in post really added that glow and it turned out a lot nicer than SOOC.
This why ‘Sooc’ is a blind alley for me. In the film only days we edited our photos in the Darkroom. Today I use Lightroom :)

This why ‘Sooc’ is a blind alley for me. In the film only days we edited our photos in the Darkroom. Today I use Lightroom :)
Agreed. SOOC I find a bit daft other than nailing the composition. The cameras are just applying their own set of "lightroom" presets to a raw image to create a jpeg. You'll obviously be able to improve on them by being specific per shot.

Very nice, crisp looking in more ways than one.

I found this weeks theme a bit of a challenge. Managed to get some cooperation from a little one to stage this one

74be0eee005a871c13b4c8a27308.jpg

Z6, 24-70 Z @ 38mm, but cropped quite a bit, f/7.1. SB910 bounced.

Last edited:
LOL.

Pity you told us it was staged :)

Whole: works perfectly with lovely soft light
Hidden: Certainly brings a smile.

Original idea and nicely shot. Photographing "hidden" is certainly a challenge: photography of something not there. Well, so to speak...

Back