Beginner Firmware updates?

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, im not sure how to update firmware, can anyone help? Also can it be done without a card reader... ie. By connecting the camera to my computer with a cable?

I usually do it by connecting the camera to the computer, I'm not sure about other methods. What camera is it?

All of them that I've done (Canon 10D, 40D, 60D, 90D, 6Dm2, R6m2) have boiled down to get the firmware on to the memory card... (Variously via card reader, USB cable & using the app) then triggering the update in the camera.

He has a EOS R6, so I cannot help, but usually you download the zip file and put it on a card as Jason says above.

He has a EOS R6, so I cannot help, but usually you download the zip file and put it on a card as Jason says above.
Exactly right.

To expand a little, format card in camera, download firmware zip file, extract file on PC/Mac, copy extracted firmware file to root of card. Make sure camera battery is in good shape, put Camera to P setting, and go to Firmware at the end of the settings menu. Click set, and follow the prompts, making sure that you don't touch any buttons. Takes about 5 minutes.

For more detail (I'm working from memory), you download a set of instructions in the firmware zip file - give them a read first..

Hope that helps.

Cheers folks. Have recently added the r7 as well. Could i connect this in the same manner?

Back